Another JzP Metalhelm Comparison

SkipperJohn

A while back Chas wrote an excellent thread comparing a Schultz & Holdefleiss JzP helmet and a Herman Weissenburger JzP helmet. I tried to add to that thread but apparently I tried to add too much because it just stopped typing mid sentence.

Here are two additional manufacturers to add to the list.
The first is a C.E. Juncker 1916. The body of the helmet is chemically treated and is a deep blue in color. The fittings are a matte silver in color and appear to have a German silver, or some other nickel alloy, wash.

V87BvFY.jpg

The second is a Damaschke 1916. The body of this helmet is chemically treated also but is more black than blue in color. The different metal parts on this helmet have also retained the black color differently. The fittings are oxidized gray metal, not painted, and they retain their original finish.

mP0ImaD.jpg

In a side to side comparison the differences in shape can be seen. The tail of the Damaschke is turned up much more than that of the Juncker. The Kokarden are different sizes, but this is of no consequence, both of these helmets can be found with either the 63mm Kokarden or the 48mm Kokarden.

vg7Qh83.jpg

The cloverleaf spike base, between the leaves, on the Juncker is square cut, while the area between the leaves on the Damaschke is rounded, as if to match the curvature of the studs.

C8gqUOD.jpg
64Mi4rK.jpg

The "fit and trim" of the Juncker is far better than that of the Damaschke. At first I thought that the Damaschke had been repaired by having the tail re-riveted but there are no signs that the original rivets had been removed. This fit and trim issue could be caused by having excessive weight applied to the top of the helmet or force applied upward on the tail.

OF1wTea.jpg

The liner of the Juncker is extremely thin and is not dyed. The paint on this helmet has noticeable drip marks where the paint ran while drying.

bQIrXp6.jpg

The liner of the Damaschke has been dyed black but is still extremely thin. There is a period repair on the liner where the leather is very thin. There is no rip in the liner so this patch may have been sewn in by the manufacturer to guard against a future problem. The paint on this helmet is more "finished" and shows no signs of drips.

zb5C3tH.jpg

The spike on the Damaschke is 9cm tall and has a steep slope. The spike on the Juncker is a little over 9.5cm tall and has a milder slope. The base of the spike on the Juncker has a thin ring while the base of the spike on the Damaschke is much wider.

ifz665w.jpg

The most startling difference in these helmets is the shape of the Wappen. The Juncker Wappen has a longer neck, thinner features, and a gentle curve, ")". The Damaschke Wappen is short and stout. There is no curve to the shape, "I", the neck is considerably shorter, and all of the features are thick.

Ec4cPVf.jpg
2DqCy1j.jpg

In a side to side comparison the differences in sword thickness, neck height, and curve can easily be seen.

cpBiL4y.jpg

Lastly, the shape of the skull is different on both helmets. The Juncker has more of a rounded head design while the Damaschke is more elongated.

tOv89y1.jpg

John :)

Only by placing two helmets next to eich other you can find diffrences ,thats why it is a pleasure , as i only collect one of eich ,to look and learn of this thread

Great of you to do a comparising study on those helmets

Jonas

Excellent comparisons! Are either of the helmets marked to a specific regiment?

Happy to see the fotos back with those posts
Now we can enjoy looking back to the fotos instead of those hidious squares
All hail to picorator :notworthy:

Jonas

Great comparison. Quick question...,

Any known examples of JzP M1915 helmets that were produced with no makers markings?

I recently ran across a shell with no markings beyond a "58" (the size) on the neck guard.

Thanks.

A couple of makers used a metal tag that was held on by one of the spike base studs. They could be removed if the stud nut was taken off. One maker (probably more) used a paper label in their metal helmets.
I would not think it unusual to find an M15 JzP without a maker's mark.

John :)

I had forgotten about the makers tabs held in by the spike base screws!
Thanks.
I've been out of the country for too long. Nice to be back looking for haubes again.
S/F
Bryan.

This is an excellent thread with great pictures! I recently procured a Schultz & Holdefleiss Kurassier helm dated 1916, which I am in the process of restoring. Someone had painted it silver, and the spike, base and front eagle, a subdued gold color. The spike is crushed on one side, as though someone stood up in a low-ceilinged room with it on. Apparently Schultz & Holdefleiss was an art firm in Berlin in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Attachments

• 20221126_095511.jpg
    20221126_095511.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 20221126_095518.jpg
    20221126_095518.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20221126_095529.jpg
    20221126_095529.jpg
  • 20221126_095551.jpg
    20221126_095551.jpg
  • 20221126_124545.jpg
    20221126_124545.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Here are current pictures.. I did some work on it today.

Attachments

• 20221210_205412.jpg
    20221210_205412.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221210_205421.jpg
    20221210_205421.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20221210_205430.jpg
    20221210_205430.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Back