Any fellow members here who enjoy a good Bier ?

Orval certainly looks like a beautiful place to reflect and enjoy a fine beer. If reading this correct that they've only been brewing beer since 1931? And you must also make a reservation to buy beer.

I've added it to my list of places to visit next time I'm in the neighborhood (y) Until then it looks like they have distribution in my state.;)

Orval glise cours.jpeg

_N029963.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful place, and excellent beer ( and cheese), your pictures show the rebuilt abbey, but the real beauty is the medieval ruins,
A lot of stories to be told also about the bottle ( looks like Perrier) and the story of the ring of the princess and the fish in the source that provides the excellent water for the beer,
To claim the Trappist logo, real monks must be involved in brewing, with only natural ingredients and revenue should go to benificary goals ( no real profit),
I really like real Trappist beers

Attachments

• IMG_8373.jpeg
    IMG_8373.jpeg
    351.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi JustinG,

Welcome to the Bier lovers part of the forum, you sound like a man who enjoys a fine Bier and knows one when he drinks it (y)

I recently picked up two of the 2023 German Bier Advent Calendars one for me and one for the wife so I don't have to give her a sip of mine ;)

Really looking forward to the start of December, it reminds me of my childhood and looking forward to a chocolate everyday but only much better. This calendar is full of only small German breweries who do not get regular distribution in the states. Personal favorite Klosterbrau v Bamburg is represented, which I can only drink when there. :cry:

Did I mention I can't wait for December :unsure:

Prost 🍻
John Josef

View attachment 39052

View attachment 39053
I usually pick up 4 of the Advent calendars. Really for $68 dollars (At least what they sell for at the Costco here in Anchorage) 24qty of 0.5L cans, that equals out to $2.83 a can. That is a heck of a bargain.

Cheers/Prost.
Best Regards,
JustinG

Hi JustinG,

Welcome to the Bier lovers part of the forum, you sound like a man who enjoys a fine Bier and knows one when he drinks it (y)

I recently picked up two of the 2023 German Bier Advent Calendars one for me and one for the wife so I don't have to give her a sip of mine ;)

Really looking forward to the start of December, it reminds me of my childhood and looking forward to a chocolate everyday but only much better. This calendar is full of only small German breweries who do not get regular distribution in the states. Personal favorite Klosterbrau v Bamburg is represented, which I can only drink when there. :cry:

Did I mention I can't wait for December :unsure:

Prost 🍻
John Josef

View attachment 39052

View attachment 39053
I’m impressed. What a calendar🥰.

I see a least two beers form the region I was born: Hösl (just around the corner) and Klosterbräu. Very special!

Thank you very much for posting. You made my day.

Prost Prost 🍻

GardeUlan

Attachments

• 7C5889F6-55BB-47E7-90C2-339B6FFE7E53.jpeg
    7C5889F6-55BB-47E7-90C2-339B6FFE7E53.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
I usually pick up 4 of the Advent calendars. Really for $68 dollars (At least what they sell for at the Costco here in Anchorage) 24qty of 0.5L cans, that equals out to $2.83 a can. That is a heck of a bargain.

Cheers/Prost.
Best Regards,
JustinG

Sadly the state I live in Costco cannot sell Bier, I had to pay a little more. :cry::cry: but still worth it in my opinion.

The German company Kalea make several calendars I'd love to try but this is the only one I've seen available locally.

I’m impressed. What a calendar🥰.

I see a least two beers form the region I was born: Hösl (just around the corner) and Klosterbräu. Very special!

Thank you very much for posting. You made my day.

Prost Prost 🍻

GardeUlan

My pleasure are you from Mitterteich?

Your on a roll, keep em coming. (y)

Looks exactly like one of my vacations, Mountains, Lakes , Bier and of course Militaria.

We used to stay in Aying when flying out of Munich but their Brauerigasthof Hotel doubled in price so we switched to staying in Erding which also makes a pretty good Bier and is much closer to the Airport for that morning drive ;)

In Ypres I tried a Trappist Westvleieren which I was assured is a very exclusive bier only sold in very limited quantities. I'm not sure if that was over stating the case but it was very good in my view. Where I live we only have access to Leffe Blonde in limited quantities sadly.

They weren't overstating. It's only brewed (and thus sold) in limited amounts. Just to cover the expenses and costs/renovations of the abbey. They're not allowed to make a profit. Best chance to buy one is to drive to the shop right next to the abbey. It's almost never available in a regular bar or shop.

They weren't overstating. It's only brewed (and thus sold) in limited amounts. Just to cover the expenses and costs/renovations of the abbey. They're not allowed to make a profit. Best chance to buy one is to drive to the shop right next to the abbey. It's almost never available in a regular bar or shop.
I was told by the B&B owner who gifted us a bottle of Westvleiren that you are only allowed to buy a pack of 6 at one time and that if they find out that you were selling any of it they would refuse to sell to you in future.

Discovered König Pilsner while in Potsdam earlier this year. Radelberger is one of my favorites when in the east. Just came back from 10 days in the Mosel River region where Bitburger is my favorite. 🍻

Attachments

• 20230421_171026.jpg
    20230421_171026.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230423_181636.jpg
    20230423_181636.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 4
  • image_5699543.jpg
    image_5699543.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back