Anybody else loves artilleriehauben?

For some reason i like artilleriehauben.

M1915 Prussian marked to FAR 8.

pinhelmpjes_004.jpg

M1895 Baden

pinhelmpjes_005.jpg

M1895 Würtemberg(fake chinstrap)

pinhelmpjes_006.jpg

M1895 Pruissian marked to FAR10

pinhelmpjes_007.jpg

Prussian one year volunteer

pinhelmpjes_008.jpg

Greetings

Pickelhaube

:thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up: Indeed...(after 32 years in the Artillery) I love these! Looking for a Sachsen and a Württemberger !
Francis
"Regis Ultima Ratio"

A year ago I bought a Prussian e m pre war helmet marked
to F A R 8 . Odd thing is that it started out to be issued as
a Baden artillery regiment , but a Baden plate was
never placed on it .

I am trying to put together a non-helmet musician
display for F A R 10 Hannover .
and also just started F A R 3 musician display

Steve

Nice collection

I love them as well.

I am running out of display area I have room for about 5-10 more and I will not have anymore room .

I would like to get one more Meck and the room that I have left I would like to fill with either Arties or Wurts.

I just got in a Wurt 91 private purchase arty basket case and have a 91 Prussian arty with original chinscales on it's way !!

I am a little lazy tonight so I will reuse some pics.

The early Grenadier is a total reconstruction that needs more work.

The Hess 1870 was the 3rd piece that I added to my collection.
The Meck has a repro c/s
The Baden is a high ranking NCO or OYV
The Saxon is a OYV with repro scales
Not pictured is my m-15 Prussian that is a HUGE size ( all original )

Khukri said:
:thumb up: :thumb up: :thumb up: Indeed...(after 32 years in the Artillery) I love these! Looking for a Sachsen and a Württemberger !
Francis
"Regis Ultima Ratio"

I was a red-leg as well on M109 series. I like them as well, but only have three or four.

:D Ron

poniatowski said:
Khukri said:
Francis
"Regis Ultima Ratio"

I was a red-leg as well on M109 series. I like them as well, but only have three or four.

Me too, except we were called "Cannon Cockers", on M101A1 and M114 A1 series. I have five artillery Haubes, so I am a fan.

John :thumb up:

I'm drooling over my keyboard when i see the helmets that Pickelhauben and Leone have posted. I only have 5 artilleriehauben, 6 if i count my Bayern also, but that one doesnt has a balltop.

A few weeks ago i was offered 3 different felt artilleriehauben, but since the liners of the helmets were missing or damaged, i had to say no...

Greetings

Pickelhaube

SkipperJohn said:
poniatowski said:
Khukri said:
Francis
"Regis Ultima Ratio"

Me too, except we were called "Cannon Cockers", on M101A1 and M114 A1 series. I have five artillery Haubes, so I am a fan.

John :thumb up:

Yup, so did we. I was trying to be polite to those who might not like to be referred to as Cockers or Gun Bunnies or Ammo Humpers (what I called my ammo wagon crew). :wink: However, I enjoyed being a Tread Head on artillery, tanks, APC's, cargo carriers or what have you. I'll tell you this much, the A6 is a wonderful piece of technology, but I'd rather be on an older A1 or A2... More to do, more quiet during missions, more fun. However, the guys needing support are much happier with the Paladin. Those days are long gone now for me.

Pickelhaube said:
I'm drooling over my keyboard when i see the helmets that Pickelhauben and Leone have posted. I only have 5 artilleriehauben, 6 if i count my Bayern also, but that one doesnt has a balltop.

A few weeks ago i was offered 3 different felt artilleriehauben, but since the liners of the helmets were missing or damaged, i had to say no...

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Thanks Pickelhaube ,

I probably would have jumped on those felt arties !!!!!!

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but both of the Bavarian Pickelhaubes pictured above appear to have flat chin scales. I could be way off base here but it is my understanding that the Bavarian artillery always had curved chin scales. The infantry had flat chin scales until 20 February 1914 when all Bavarian chin scales went to curved. Here is my infantry reserve officer showing flat chin scales:

drZpwFm.jpg

Curved chin scales were used by the cavalry, artillery and train and continued in use until the demise of the Pickelhaube. Here is my Bavarian artillery:

dWWz3ld.jpg

Now, to be completely honest, this Bavarian helmet with curved chin scales is not marked, so it could have been used by the Schwere-Reiter, Chevaulegers, Artillery, or Train. If it was manufactured after 20 February 1914, but before 31 March 1916, this helmet could have even been infantry. After 31 March 1916 the Bavarian artillery adopted the Kugel ball so a later production artillery helmet would have incorporated this Kugel.

Am I completely wrong about this? Is it possible that I just can't see the curve in the chin scales looking at the photos?

John :?

Bavarian Fußartillerie Regimenter had flat chinscales as well. Are these helmets marked with Regts Numbers ?
Francis

My Bavarian artilleriehaube has a faint regimentalstamp, i can read the "FAR", but not the number.

My understanding is that bavarian artilleriehauben had flatt chinscales while the curved chinscales were for cavaleryhauben. But it wouldn't surprise me that some artilleriehauben had curved chinscales.

This helmet is marked to the 3rd cheveaux légers.
artillerie_003.jpg

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Jeremy,

Just checked THE referencebook: "Die Deutsche Artillerie;1871 bis 1914"-Ulrich Herr and Jens Nguyen.
I will not copy-paste: So: please do check out pages 344-359 for Bayerische FAR Lederhelme (convex scales) and the pages 486-471 for Bayerische Fußartillerie Lederhelme (Flat scales)

"I learn it from a book !"

Francis

:eek: Aaaarghhh...Spikey: should you plan to get rid of your fine Sachsen Kugelhelm...just let me know.
Thank you !
Francis

I am fond of Artillerie as well.

Model 1895 Baden Feldartillerie (Field Artillery) Mannschaften Pickelhaube

dbh84.jpg

Model 1886/1896 Bayern (Bavaria) Feldartillerie (Field Artillery) Regt 7 Mannschaften Pickelhaube

dbh41.jpg

Model 1899/1914 Bayern (Bavaria) Feldartillerie (Field Artillery) Regt Officer's Pickelhaube

dbh05.jpg

Model 1871 Preußen Fußartillery Mannschaften Pickelhaube

dbh17.jpg

Model 1895 Preußen Garde Fußartillery Mannschaften Pickelhaube

dbh60.jpg

Model 1915 Preußen Friedens-Uniform Feldartillerie Regt 34 Mannschaften Pickelhaube

dbh19.jpg

Model 1871 Preußen Feldartillerie Regt Senior NCO Eigetumsstück Pickelhaube

dbh64.jpg

Model 1871/1899 Preußen Feldartillerie Officer's Pickelhaube

dbh20.jpg

Model 1891 Preußen Fußartillery Regt 8 Mannschaften Pickelhaube

dbh18.jpg

Model 1894 Sachsen (Saxon) Feldartillerie Mannschaften Pickelhaube

dbh58.jpg

Model 1894 Württembergisches Feldartillerie Mannschaften Eigetumsstück (privately purchased) Pickelhaube

dbh48.jpg

Ersatz Preußen Rolled-Edge Artillerie J. Bambus & Co. Filzhelm (felt helmet)

fgh26.jpg

Ersatz Model 1915 Preußen Feldartillerie Felt Mannschaften Pickelhaube

fgh39.jpg

Model 1915 Preußen Feldartillerie Regt 44 Mannschaften Pickelhaube

fgh21.jpg

Model 1915 Hessen Feldartillerie Regt 25 Mannschaften Pickelhaube

fgh38.jpg

Back