Authentic felt haube?

lach470

Hi Guys - I'm new to this forum but some of you might know me (lach470). One of my co-workers brought this in. Been in her family since she was a child. Great-grandfather fought in WW1 and brought this home. That's the story anyways.
What do you guys think? It is in stone mint condition.
Inside the helmet is a reddish sticker that says 55. That seems rather odd.
Could this be a repro with the 55 representing the 55cm size of the helmet?
No steel rim around the edge. Looks like it is made of one piece. See pics.
All thoughts and opnions greatly appreciated. Cheers!
I'm knowledgeable when it comes to the Stahlhelm - not so much when it comes to pickelhaubes.
Thank you!

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_5275.jpg
    IMG_5275.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5278.jpg
    IMG_5278.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5277.jpg
    IMG_5277.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5280.jpg
    IMG_5280.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5279.jpg
    IMG_5279.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5274.jpg
    IMG_5274.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
Hi Rob,

100% original helmet, complete with the chinstrap and the kokardes (colored disks) on the right and left side of the helmet. Helmet looks to be in excellent condition.

The helmet has the original "55" size paper label inside the helmet. Sometimes these original size labels still remain inside the helmet after all these years have passed by.

Will she sell it to you?

If she does sell it to you, and you don't want to keep it, I would be interested in buying it for my collection. ;)

Best Wishes,

Alan

HI guys! Thanks for the quick feedback! Very much appreciated. She's on the fence. I have offered and she is thinking about it. I was just wondering about the "55" sticker. I have a leather haube but this would be my first ersatz example. I'll keep you posted guys. Many thanks for your help!

Rob

HI guys! Thanks for the quick feedback! Very much appreciated. She's on the fence. I have offered and she is thinking about it. I was just wondering about the "55" sticker. I have a leather haube but this would be my first ersatz example. I'll keep you posted guys. Many thanks for your help!

Rob

I can tell ya Rob you'll never get a better opportunity.

Now bring her home (y)

Rob
I would not give the 55 sticker a second thought ,
be like Confederate General N B Forrest
" Get there first-est with the most-esty
Steve

Bring her home as in bring the granddaughter home or the felt helmet home?? Lol

Well he did say it was a co worker and her ;) so I'd say whatever it takes to get the deal done :unsure:

You just gotta make sure you can get that one into your collection. I know if one of my co workers had it, it would be a by any means necessary situation. I'd be loosing sleep no doubt.

Which reminds me of a similar situation that happened to me many years ago. My old boss maybe 40 years ago had a relative who had served as a US Marine officer in WWI. He had his chest with uniform,Helmet,Gun, documents, The most beautiful German Camo helm as well as a broom handle Mauser in almost perfect condition in it. I almost and probably did drool while handling the items.

I was on him just about daily for years trying to buy it but he just couldn't bring himself to sell it due to sentimental reasons.

This story has a terrible ending, his son later on turned out to be addicted to drugs and when Tom was at work one day broke into his house and stole it all as well as his hunting items and sold them in order to buy more drugs. We were both devastated, I will never forget Toms face. It was horrible to see what he went through with his son who eventually passed from an overdose years later.

Last edited:
That sure is a dreadful story...
For the son, but mostly for his father, Tom, who went trough all this..
I've seen guy's I knew from school, who went to do drugs, and paid the price. Some of them, I saw standing at the busstop, doing crazy dances, and burglary later on to get money for dope. All passed away later on. But their minds were already past saving when they went.

Regards, Coert.

That sure is a dreadful story...
For the son, but mostly for his father, Tom, who went trough all this..
I've seen guy's I knew from school, who went to do drugs, and paid the price. Some of them, I saw standing at the busstop, doing crazy dances, and burglary later on to get money for dope. All passed away later on. But their minds were already past saving when they went.

Regards, Coert.
Its a very sad thing to see people loose their lives to such a terrible addiction.

It did have a bright spot, after Toms son's death he left a baby daughter who was being raised by his sons ex girlfriend who was also a drug addict. Tom won custody of his granddaughter who he has raised in a good safe home all these years.

Last edited:
Well he did say it was a co worker and her ;) so I'd say whatever it takes to get the deal done :unsure:

You just gotta make sure you can get that one into your collection. I know if one of my co workers had it, it would be a by any means necessary situation. I'd be loosing sleep no doubt.

Which reminds me of a similar situation that happened to me many years ago. My old boss maybe 40 years ago had a relative who had served as a US Marine officer in WWI. He had his chest with uniform,Helmet,Gun, documents, The most beautiful German Camo helm as well as a broom handle Mauser in almost perfect condition in it. I almost and probably did drool while handling the items.

I was on him just about daily for years trying to buy it but he just couldn't bring himself to sell it due to sentimental reasons.

This story has a terrible ending, his son later on turned out to be addicted to drugs and when Tom was at work one day broke into his house and stole it all as well as his hunting items and sold them in order to buy more drugs. We were both devastated, I will never forget Toms face. It was horrible to see what he went through with his son who eventually passed from an overdose years later.
A little off the helmet subject , but a similar even about a collection .
I was until not long ago also a collector of items that belonged to Confederate Veterans
Via a story in a family book I tracked down the Granddaughter of a veteran
She lived sort of close to me .
I went to visit her , I had seen a photo of the veteran wearing his reunion medals .
I asked her what happened to them .
She told me that she still had them all , and I got to see them
The daughter of the veteran , James N. Shivers had gone to every reunion with her father
and had saved all of his metals and photos
To make it sweet , J.N. Shivers served in the same regiment as my Great Grandfather
The 7th Tenn. Cavalry CSA under the Command of General N B Forrest
I said to her that I know these are family item , but if for any reason you should
want to sell them , I would be a buyer
I gave her a vale on the group
Time when by and nothing
years later she called me
she was getting older
she had 1 daughter and her daughter was in a relationship with a guy on drugs
she feared the guy on drugs would sell the collection and sell it
so it was time to let it go
I told her that I would keep it together
which I have done
this group was saved
photo of J N Shivers Forrest Cavalry Corp
and his medals
you can see the ones that he is wearing in the dispaly case James Shivers  7 Tenn Cav F C C.JPGJames N. Shivers 7th Tenn Cavalry  FFC.jpeg
Steve

Back