Bavarian Leib Pickelhaube

Wonderful. That’s a solider who’s family had money. That’s about as far as you could go for a Mannschaften helmet. Nice score Charles.

Superbe Pickelhaube. Félicitations Charles! Is the spike twist off at its base? Removable spike, chinscales and cockades would make it a M1915, wouldn’t it?
But what makes Tony say this isn’t an officer’s model?

Reactions: ccj
Superbe Pickelhaube. Félicitations Charles! Is the spike twist off at its base? Removable spike, chinscales and cockades would make it a M1915, wouldn’t it?
But what makes Tony say this isn’t an officer’s model?
I too can see the m1915 style chinscales so the spike shd be removable.

If this turns out to be an M1915, you just hit the jackpot in my opinion Charles because these were only produced for 2-3 years making them rarer than their previous counterparts. Can you check if that spike is twist off and let us know? Meanwhile, here’s my only Officer M1915 (with its twist off spike):99634e81-8cf5-4ad3-b2cf-207ff7218fda.jpeg

Last edited:
If this turns out to be an M1915, you just hit the jackpot in my opinion Charles because these were only produced for 2-3 years making them rarer than their previous counterparts. Can you check if that spike is twist off and let us know? Meanwhile, here’s my only Officer M1915 (with its
twist off spike):View attachment 33689
That’s an amazing helmet. My Bavarian has a removable spike

I’ll take more photos later if needed. I’m outside doing yard work since the weather has finally turned nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: RON
Charles before you twist the spike on that helmet and possibly have the worst moment in your collecting life when it snaps off, look inside the ventilation hole in the interior. If it has a removable spike, you will see that from the inside. The screw off spike shown above is very uncommon. Most officer 1915 have a bayonet style lug for the spike. Your helmet is the first 1915 private purchase I’ve ever seen for a soldier not an officer. You have found a very unique helmet.

My spike comes off but does not have the 1915 bayonet style lug like in the photo.

That is a sweet helmet Ronny!! (y) (y)
Thanks Brian. Don’t know if you remember but i had shared this helmet with you guys a while back. Ron (Poniatowski) and I had sort of competed to win it on eBay. Quite a nice piece for a fair price back then.

Hi Tony, how are you? Can you explain what makes it a Mannschaften helmet and not an officer’s because I’m confused? Is it the wappen which seems to be of slightly less quality compared to other wappens I’ve seen?

That’s something I wonder too. It looks like an M15 officer helmet for me. According to Bavarian regulations, the chin scales of an M15 should only be worn by officers and in my opinion the Wappen is also for officers, as size is correct and all crowns are voided.

That’s something I wonder too. It looks like an M15 officer helmet for me. According to Bavarian regulations, the chin scales of an M15 should only be worn by officers and in my opinion the Wappen is also for officers, as size is correct and all crowns are voided.
I agree. All I can see, is that the Bavarian kokarde is one for mannschaften, the Reichs one for officers.
For the rest it seems officer, but then, I'm no expert on these helmets.

Back