Bayern Artillery Officers Haube with plume.

However, this changed in 1916 when the M1916 was introduced. With AKO from March 31, 1916, the Bavarian field artillery also switched to black hair bushes.

Thanks for the additional information on the later AKO.

I just wanted to point out that as of Sept 5, 1886, Bavarian artillery regiments did in fact wear red hair plumes which would certainly pertain to this Helmet that was for sale.

I didn't mean to lecture you John Josef, I just thought it would be a good addition for the completeness.

Please don't think that my friend.

I really do appreciate your addition of the later AK. I was just trying to clarify that indeed Bavarian Artillery regiments wore red hair plumes from the 5th of September1886.

Would you have any information as to why the change to black would have occurred some thirty years later in 1916?

Unfortunately no, I can only make assumptions at best. But I think it was another alignment with the other states, as happened with the emblems and the M1896 in general.

Bavarian Red Plume is Artillery Brian!
True for Prussia. and many other states but Bayern had many regiments ( Cav .& .Inf Bands ) decked out in red horse hair headress I can find it in red for the Mounted Field Artillery.... But cannot find if the Foot Artillery regiments had any horse hair plumes at all ?
Just for members information, after an Imperial decree dated the 5 of September 1886 all Bavarian Artillery regiments were permitted to screw a red hair plume onto the Helmet for parade duty.
Just for members information, after an Imperial decree dated the 5 of September 1886 all Bavarian Artillery regiments were permitted to screw a red hair plume onto the Helmet for parade duty.

Bavarian foot Artillery were not permitted to wear horse-hair plumes with the introduction of the spiked helmet.

Back