Bayern home guard pickel

stuka f

Correct me if I am wrong, but here is what I thougt to be a bayern home guard pickelhaube.
It was sold to me as "fonctionaire Bavarois", meaning a "public servant".
I had one before, but couldn't complete it, so sold it again.
And did some research then and found out this service was quiet close to the Belgian Garde civique we had before WWI.
I was lucky, because just like Amy I forgot the chinstraps, but the sales room found them and mailed them to me yesterday.

Attachments

• GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERN.jpeg
    GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERN.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 28
  • GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERNNNNN.jpeg
    GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERNNNNN.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 28
  • GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERNNN.jpeg
    GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERNNN.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 25
  • GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERNN.jpeg
    GARDE CIVIQUE BAYERNN.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 28
Beautiful Model 1848 "Burgerwehr" helmet, which actually corresponds to a citizen militia. In fact, it's more of a police helmet than a military one.

Last edited:
In this book [page 70]:
Described as: [Bay Armee Museum-BAM- Inv.Nr.E 5621]-Helm M1848 für Mannschaften der Landwehrinfanterie.
-This was the Bavarian Wappen. Not a Bavarian Municipality Wappen!

Attachments

• 3234_0 (1).jpg
    3234_0 (1).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240316_130419.jpg
    20240316_130419.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Bayern Helm M 1853 or M 1848 for Landwehr soldier (Bürgermilitär/Bürgerwehr)-"In 1807, the old groups of self-appointed soldiers were transformed into a citizen army, which was introduced in all towns and market communities throughout Bavaria. Further reorganizations and finally expansion to other kingdoms took place in 1809 and 1813. The name Landwehr has been used since 1814. The Landwehr is more of a police force than a Bavarian army. It could only be used in the territory of a city or district belonging to the district court. It wasn't until the Landwehr order of 1826 that a real war mission was planned, but it didn't take place until 1866 at the Battle of Kissingen. The civilian army was disbanded in 1869." The prototype of the helmet presented here is the raupenhelm model of 1845,differing only in the way the rosettes with lions were attached and in the lack of a "caterpillar" on top of the helmet On parades, Landwehr fusiliers wore a white parade busch (black from 1863), Landwehr artillery wore red, and "Jäger" and "Schützen" - black horsehair plume.There are two non-exclusive forms of specifying the model,and this was due to when it was introduced in the various formations - "a decree of the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior in 1851, in which it is written that all Landwehr troops can wear a helmet according to the Pickelhauben model from September 26, 1848."

Attachments

• DSC00567.JPG
    DSC00567.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC00569.JPG
    DSC00569.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • DSC00573.JPG
    DSC00573.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC00572.JPG
    DSC00572.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC00574.JPG
    DSC00574.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Bayern Helm M 1853 or M 1848 for Landwehr soldier (Bürgermilitär/Bürgerwehr)-"In 1807, the old groups of self-appointed soldiers were transformed into a citizen army, which was introduced in all towns and market communities throughout Bavaria. Further reorganizations and finally expansion to other kingdoms took place in 1809 and 1813. The name Landwehr has been used since 1814. The Landwehr is more of a police force than a Bavarian army. It could only be used in the territory of a city or district belonging to the district court. It wasn't until the Landwehr order of 1826 that a real war mission was planned, but it didn't take place until 1866 at the Battle of Kissingen. The civilian army was disbanded in 1869." The prototype of the helmet presented here is the raupenhelm model of 1845,differing only in the way the rosettes with lions were attached and in the lack of a "caterpillar" on top of the helmet On parades, Landwehr fusiliers wore a white parade busch (black from 1863), Landwehr artillery wore red, and "Jäger" and "Schützen" - black horsehair plume.There are two non-exclusive forms of specifying the model,and this was due to when it was introduced in the various formations - "a decree of the Bavarian Ministry of the Interior in 1851, in which it is written that all Landwehr troops can wear a helmet according to the Pickelhauben model from September 26, 1848."
Thank you for these clarifications.

Two confusions:
---my translation "civique" into "municipal" is wrong. Citizen seems more appropriate to me.
---Then, the confusion comes from the word Landwehr. As Naprawiacz said, it's better to use the word Bürgerwehr. A bit like the national guard in France under Louis-Philippe, or in the United States in the 20th century and still today.
Mannsch. Artillerie Z1.jpg

The Royal Bavarian Army's 1848 model Bavarian helmet was a caterpillar helmet with gold (brass) trim and a front plate bearing the monogram of the sovereign, Maximilian II.

Last edited:
Back