The free city of Bremen adopted the use of the Pickelhaube in 1850. In 1866 the Infantrie Regiment Bremen (1 Hanseatisches) Nr. 75 was formed and it was active from 1866 until 1918. The Bremen Kokarde from 1866 measured 51mm and it was flat instead of convex, which was typical for Bremen. It had the Hanseatic Maltese cross which was stamped into the Kokarde and not just painted on. The Maltese cross was used by Bremen until 1897 when the Kokarde switched to a white serrated disc with a red ring.