Bremen Kokarden

SkipperJohn

The free city of Bremen adopted the use of the Pickelhaube in 1850. In 1866 the Infantrie Regiment Bremen (1 Hanseatisches) Nr. 75 was formed and it was active from 1866 until 1918. The Bremen Kokarde from 1866 measured 51mm and it was flat instead of convex, which was typical for Bremen. It had the Hanseatic Maltese cross which was stamped into the Kokarde and not just painted on. The Maltese cross was used by Bremen until 1897 when the Kokarde switched to a white serrated disc with a red ring.

Cdc5UxN.jpg

John

Well here are three of my loose examples, I will totally admit, I am not sure all are 100% real or not, open for opinions. I do like the look and feel of the OR one.

James

Looking at the OR one, (Lubeck) I would say it is original . The stamping is deep and crisp. What are your concerns?

I might be suspicious of the officer kokarde on the far left due to excellent condition. No wear to the paint around the hole for example. This suggests lack of use to me, the middle one shows loss of paint due to the scraping of chin scales. This is what I have seen on other originals. I guess this all could be faked....tough call without having them in hand.

I believe that all three of these are good. I have seen a lot of variation in these, especially in the early pre-1897 versions. Many variations also exist between the three different free states that used them. The ones that really should be questioned have the cross painted on; but the cross is not stamped into the metal of the Kokarde. The Lubeck M91 type looks 100% correct.

John

Back