British Navy uniform

Gustaf

Staff member
I have managed to piece together an elusive British Navy uniform. The jumper and broadfall trousers have no markings, so I can not be sure of the vintage. The cap has a tally from a ship that served until 1920, so it could be from WWI or it could have had the tally changed. It came in a tin container with dicky and scarf shown on the mannequin. The scarf is a bit ratty on the ends, and I need to iron it and fold it the other way to clean it up. A couple of small ditty bags also came with the cap, all named to the same sailor. The material of the cap looks right for the time, and is different than the WWII vintage caps that I have seen. This is an important part of the WWI conflict, and until I can find a better example, it will serve for public display to help educate people about the sacrifices all service men and women.

Gus, that is outstanding! You are also too modest about the ship. The HMS Europa took part in the Dardanelles Campaign, for which she received a battle honour.

Peter_Suciu said:
Gus, that is outstanding! You are also too modest about the ship. The HMS Europa took part in the Dardanelles Campaign, for which she received a battle honour.
The HMS Europa also served in some of the eqarl battles and may have been in the same waters as the SMS Lothringen, which is the tally on my Kaisersliche Marine uniform.

The HMS Europa was a Diadem-class cruiser, designed to protect trade. It had a wooden hull and was built at the beginning of the 1900s.

I think that is an 1840-1850's Tropical pattern .... used until the early 20th century

I'm guessing the HMS Europa 1897 - 1920

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Europa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look inside the cap, sometimes has a clue to its age, eg : maker or crown type.

Stirnpanzer said:
I think that is an 1840-1850's Tropical pattern .... used until the early 20th century

I'm guessing the HMS Europa 1897 - 1920

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Europa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look inside the cap, sometimes has a clue to its age, eg : maker or crown type.

No marking anywhere, the material is different than the WWII and later caps I have seen.
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
911car said:
Very nice, Gus, but you should have his shoes polished!..
The only reason they are black is because he has been shoveling coal.

But he managed to keep his pants immaculate...
Seriously: I thought these marine suits came with black shiny shoes, am I wrong?

911car said:
Gustaf said:
911car said:
Very nice, Gus, but you should have his shoes polished!..
The only reason they are black is because he has been shoveling coal.

But he managed to keep his pants immaculate...
Seriously: I thought these marine suits came with black shiny shoes, am I wrong?
This one cam bare foot, I figured unpolished boots would be an upgrade, but I thik I might put a bit of wax on them, as I once got confined to quaters for a week because I posted a photo of my French Poilu with an untied show lace.

I was looking through the list of "other items" from the seller of the cap, they had another cap, a blue one, that was in the same tin. It has an HMS Vivid tally, there are a number of ships that had that name, but the most common use was fo a training station that was open until 1914. A check of British service records indicates the wearer was born in 1893, this would give a correct time frame for training at Portsmouth and serving on the HMS Europa. I was not able to get more information on actual service with out jumping through hoops, so I am looking at other sources for more information. But it looks like I may have acquired an actual WWI vintage grouping. I will post more photos as the items arrive.

Now another question on the insignia and rank on the jumper. The fouled anchor is "Leading Seaman" do the chevrons make him second class? Also, the blue strip surely designates him as serving on the port side of the ship, but I can not find out the meaning of blue, in the US navy, red was a fireman, white served on the deck, but I have not found any reference on blue (also used in the US Navy) I am making the unwise assumptions that Royal meanings may be similar. Bear in mind that this jumper is not part of H. V. Donald's grouping.

Gus,

This may help http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pbtyc/Uniform/1897_Uniform_Regs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I haven't had time to study it but you might get some answers.

Patrick

Hey Patrick,
that is an outstanding reference, thanks. I have not been able to find any thing on the blue stripe above the rating badge, but this does tell me he was a Second Class Petty Officer, and I have the Neck handkerchief tied wrong (I knew that) and it will require a bit more study to get right. I need to find a knife and lanyard and I might have the right boots on the way from England.
Thanks again
Gus

I have discovered that in the US navy, the blue strip is for Seaman's Branch, it is white on blue jumpers and blue on white jumpers. On the left sleeve would indicate a he worked on the port side of the ship. I am unsure if it has the same meaning in the Royal Navy but I suspect it does.

Back