British Navy uniform

Hi Gus,

I've been trying to find out more about this, but with no success so far. However, I've been told that the German Navy 'had different stripes on their sleeves to show what watch they belonged to', which fits with US practice, so it could well be that the RN did this. However, it seems very strange that when the Dress Regulations were so prescriptive this wouldn't have been covered.I've been looking for any later,early 20th century,Regulations to see what that say but haven't found any yet.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything -I like a research challenge!

Patrick

Gus,

Found this - post no 3 onwards.
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Somebody posted an old photo, which he thought was late 19th /early 20th century ( you have to join the forum to access the photo- haven't been able to look at it so far) and asked about the horizontal stripe.

I've combined two responses from the same person:
"Its a 'watch stripe' denoting he is in Port Watch, the Photo is pre 1897.Watch Stripes—To be half inch blue jean and red braid respectively; upon the outer part of the sleeve, at the junction of the sleeve and the body, 12 inches in length; blue on white frocks and jumpers, red on blue frocks and jumpers. Starboard watch to wear stripes on the right arm, port watch on the left"

He didn't give his source, but on the basis that the watch stripe was not in the 1897 Regs I found the 1890 Regs and there it is -

91. Watch Stripes—To be half inch blue jean and red braid respectively; upon the outer part of the sleeve, at the junction of the sleeve and the body, 12 inches in length; blue on white frocks and jumpers, red on blue frocks and jumpers. Starboard watch to wear stripes on the right arm, port watch on the left.

(a.) these stripes to be hemmed onto a foundation of cloth or drill; the edges of which are to be quite plain, and not to project more than one-sixteenth of an inch.

We also know now that your white frock is pre 1897. Sorry if that gives you a problem for your WW1 display. Link to 1890 Regs http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Uniform/1890_Uniform_Regs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,
I think that this watch stripe is different enough to suspect it might be later, to be honest, I would rather have a pre 1897 than a post 1919 item. The stripe on mine is not at the junction of the sleeve and body of the jumper but just above the rating patch. So things are a bit different in the US Navy, as red is worn on both whites and blues, but it for a fireman (I had assumed that was a stoker as that is what they are called on the railroad, but think that assumption is wrong) In the US Navy, a white watch stripe is worn on the blues and a blue one on the whites.
Thanks again, I like to know as much about the uniforms I collect or I would just be a hoarder rather than a collector. This forum has shown again what outstanding members we have.
Best
Gus

Gus

Thanks for the kind words.Happy to help.As I said, I like a research challenge.

I finally got access to the photo on the Naval Ships Forum, which I've attached below. Acknowledgements to the forum and the photo owner.Trust there are no issues of copyright etc!

The watch stripe on this guy's uniform appears to me to be in the same place as the stripe on yours.

I've looked at a number of WW1 photos of British sailors and haven't seen a similar stripe so far.

I have to say that naval history and naval items are not really my thing, although I do know that my great-uncle,Russell Stobo, an engineer on a merchant ship, the Manchester Trader, won the Distinguished Service Cross, along with his captain, when they fought the U65 in the Mediterranean in June 1917.Not surprisingly, the U-Boat won http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/202248-the-manchester-trader-and-u65/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patrick

Hey Patrick,
That is outstanding, I just got my authorization for that forum too, but our wbernet has been poor and I was not even able to get on here. You are right, that is exactly the watch stripe on my uniform. Thank you very much
I also got the neck scarf tied correctly and a pair of deck shoes coming from Blighty soon so I will post an upgraded photo soon.

Gus

Gus,

Look forward to seeing the next photo. Hope his new shoes will be clean,otherwise Bruno will be on your back again!

How's the flooding?

Patrick

Hey Patrick, yes the boots are clean and polished. The rain has stopped, but we have 4 inches of new snow and expect 3 to 6 more. the wind is supposed to blow this afternoon so that could be a problem. It is possible we might have another round of flooding in another week or two, but we need the water.
Thanks again for the great help with this project.
Gus

Here is an update photo, with the shoes not shown as the deck boots have not arrived yet.

The HMS Vivid cap arrived, it was in the tin with the HMS Europa, and could have easily been from the same sailor as the records show he was born in 1893 and could have trained at the HMS Vivid Training Station before it was closed in 1914 and then served on the HMS Europa. I am sure most sailors saved all their cap tallies as they moved to a new posting. The first photo shows all my blue caps, and the second shows the white caps. The US Navy caps are the only caps that are named to the same sailor as the uniform.

Back