Camouflaged M17

Interesting, in that it appears that the spike was put on before the liner was installed.

Yes very interesting picture , I think this is the ersatz helmet with the fixed spike.maybe this is the Bing factory.

I love these pictures of the "process" keep them coming. :thumb up: I agree installing liners in the ersatz tin hauben. Looks like some sort of crimping machine which secured the leather to the rim of the shell. The spike makes a convenient handle when working on a helmet.

As promised, my two camoed helmets:
IMG_0398-L.jpg

IMG_0399-L.jpg

I purchased this helmet years ago from the son of Pioneer J. Wiltsie CEF. The story that came with it was, that it was picked up during the crossing of the Canal du Nord. The son used to wear it on Halloween. The helmet shows extensive war use, main colours are a chocolate brown and dark green.

IMG_0401-L.jpg

A good view of the paint brush strokes found on these helmets.
IMG_0403-L.jpg

The liner is complete but I have followed Tony's advice and kept foam up in the shell to prevent the leather fingers from flopping around. According to Tony and this makes sense....so many liners are missing because of this movement which stresses/splits the leather along the rim of the liner.

Helmet #2:
IMG_0404%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

A 3 colour camo, light brown, dark green and a rust red.
IMG_0405%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

The helmet came with it's original chin strap which is very rare and one of the reasons why I bought it.
IMG_0406-L.jpg

IMG_0407-L.jpg

IMG_0408-L.jpg

IMG_0409-L.jpg

Both buckles and M91 fittings are painted in feldgrau which again to me adds to authenticity and the fact that this strap is original to the helmet.Fittings are made of brass.

Originally, the chin strap was pulled up over the "bill" of the helmet and had been for years but I decided a few years ago that this was putting stress on the leather and I should just let it hang free The leather strap here, is still very soft and supple.

Back