Canadians with souvenirs

Wow, great photo, I have never seen that one either. They all look to be officer helmets and taken after the armistice?? During the occupation? Posters in German on the brick wall in the background. Thanks very much for posting this.👍

5 helmets each, and at least 5 different types of helmets. ??? How did this happen, did they break into a custom helmet shop? I would like some comment about the photo itself……post card? Photographer name? Any information at all?

5 helmets each, and at least 5 different types of helmets. ??? How did this happen, did they break into a custom helmet shop? I would like some comment about the photo itself……post card? Photographer name? Any information at all?
Sorry, just a photo I stumbled across online that I thought others might find interesting. I wish I had some information for you!

Another unique previously unknown photo which raises further questions. Why does he have a single chin scale attached to one of his buttons? The tunic he wears is an old style 7 button.

Another unique previously unknown photo which raises further questions. Why does he have a single chin scale attached to one of his buttons? The tunic he wears is an old style 7 button.
No idea about the chinscale, but the seven-button tunic and shoulder straps identify this soldier as a member of the Canadian first contingent.

I was watching one of the episodes of the British Antiques Roadshow a number of years ago, and one family brought in an Officer Garde du Korps helmet to parade, and a Saxon Garde Reiter Officer helmet to parade. I wondered if the family was tempted to sell them after learning the appraised value for each of them.

None of these guys are wearing Div patches so they aren't fighting troops. I suspect they are rear echelon types who never saw a day in the trenches.

Brian ;
I think the chin scale is handing from the helmet that he is wearing .I do not see a spike or base on the helmet .
A Kurassiere officer helmet
Steve

Wow, great photo, I have never seen that one either. They all look to be officer helmets and taken after the armistice?? During the occupation? Posters in German on the brick wall in the background. Thanks very much for posting this.👍
Brian, the poster on the left of this picture is indeed in German. But the one on the right, slightly obstructed by the soldier in front of it, is on the left side in French, and on the right side in Dutch, or rather Flemish. So I think this picture was taken somewere in Belgium, after the armistice.

At onetime years ago at the old OVMS shows at the Drawbridge in Ky.
A fellow from Canada was bringing down some very nice I G items for sale
As it later was fond out the items came from the Canadian War Museum
I bought an officers H R 7 busby
and a parade and a Dienst Attila for H R 7 named to an officer
Maybe some of the older collectors remember that?
Steve

Yes that guy did some jail time as a result of the theft and lost his reputation among CN collectors. He’s probably dead by now or in an old folks home.
Yes Steve, rear echelon troops, probably clerk typists….no mud has ever been on those boots! In addition, the fact that they are wearing old style 7 button tunics after the war has ended suggests, they were never anywhere near the action.

Last edited:
I lived in the Ottawa area from the late 80's to 2014 and was a member of the Bytown Miltaria Collectors Association for many years. As the Canadian War Museum is in Ottawa some of our members had very good contacts with staff of the War Museum. Back in the 80's 90's there were rumours of unconventional "de-acquisitions" from the collection. I'll leave it at that.

The helmets are officer helmets, which were the officers' private property. These must have come from a storage facility for officer's baggage or something like that. Probably abandoned during the German retreat from Belgium in 1918.

Back