Canadians with souvenirs

I vote they are looting a museum, Even for that period, the diversity of Regiments and all ranks in one place is probably museum. That’s WW1 of course, by in WWII many collections across Europe were looted. My issued GdC to Parade came out of the USA. The vet had taken home to the US a German collection of helmets in WWII. Those are amazing photos!

Last edited:
Might I ask, where are these located on the internet? Is there any background information as to where these were taken etc? Yes amazing photos.

Might I ask, where are these located on the internet? Is there any background information as to where these were taken etc? Yes amazing photos.
They’re being posted on a private Facebook group. I’m pretty sure the images are from the National Archives of Canada, but no background info has been provided. If any is, I’ll let you know!

Very interesting, thanks for the information. What a horrible blow to Americas’ impression of Canadians as being such “nice folks” so polite! 😀 They actually know how to loot and pose for photos while they do it!

Mixed in with the medals is a pair of epaulettes
for Kurassiere regt. 8 with the English royal cypher
which was not worn after the war started
not an easy cypher to find
Steve

The CN area of occupation in Germany after the war would be fairly easy to research. Then look for a museum within that area?? The CN collar dogs and cap badges shown seem to be the “ general issue” Maple Leaf type with nothing belonging to a specific CEF Battalion. Every CEF Battalion at least to my knowledge, had it’s own unique cap badge and collars.

I've written the histories of two Canadian Infantry fighting battalions, 5th Battalion (Western Cavalry) of the 1st Division and the 21st (Eastern Ontario) of the 2nd Division and neither of them were engaged in this kind of activity while they were on occupation duty in Germany. Their behaviour while in Germany was watched very closely by the Corps command. Most were billeted with German families and they noted that the Germans were somewhat aloof but respectful. The troops for the most part were well behaved with the exception of a few incidents of excessive drinking in Cologne which saw Canadian troops banned from the city.

It is kind of sad for our German friends if they really looted the museums. But as they say, "to the Victors go the spoils."

So, if the supervision was as strict as Steve states, these photos could have been posed and the items not stolen. I can’t see looters posing for photos such as these especially when as we know, there were strict regulations against it.

These photos can be found in the collection of Library and Archives Canada under the title "Captured enemy uniforms, headgear, weapons, medals, signs, proclamations, regimental colours, and other war trophies".

Regards,
Jvpi

I’m going to change my opinion. These appear to be staged photos. National Defence photographer to soldiers: “Stand here. Put this on. Smile!”

One thing to consider is that cameras were prohibited in the CEF during the war. That’s why there are so few frontline photos. The Canadians however, employed multiple professional photographers as War correspondents. These photos are professional quality.

Even then, it leaves us wondering where those photos where taken to have that many uniforms and headgear, and more so, what happened to it all? Only in my dreams could I have a Kürassier officer’s Kurass….

I’m going to change my opinion. These appear to be staged photos. National Defence photographer to soldiers: “Stand here. Put this on. Smile!”

One thing to consider is that cameras were prohibited in the CEF during the war. That’s why there are so few frontline photos. The Canadians however, employed multiple professional photographers as War correspondents. These photos are professional quality.

Even then, it leaves us wondering where those photos where taken to have that many uniforms and headgear, and more so, what happened to it all? Only in my dreams could I have a Kürassier officer’s Kurass….
I fully agree with Tony. These are obviously professional shots made with high-performance (for the period) cameras ! See amateur photographs from that time and compare...

Back