Columbian pickelhaube

Very nice pickelhaube,which has officers brass fittings.Unfortunately I have no knowledge to which military unit it was assigned.Regards
Wojtek.

Thank you, Wojtek. I think too that it looks good - brass fitting are of high quality. Interesting design with the canvas cover, it got that tropical look. Unfortunately, there is very little information about Columbian pickelhaubes.

That is a striking pickelhaube. I have no idea if it is military or police. However, it looks like the fittings were made in Germany. Do you have any pictures of the interior of the helmet that might indicate the maker? Thanks for posting.
John

That is a striking pickelhaube. I have no idea if it is military or police. However, it looks like the fittings were made in Germany. Do you have any pictures of the interior of the helmet that might indicate the maker? Thanks for posting.
John
John, I have this photo of the interior, I will take more photos tomorrow in the morning and post them here. I can not find any makers mark. 3small.jpg

Beautiful piece, excellent condition. I would say canvas covered cork due to the tropical conditions in Columbia? Interesting Baden/ Wurttemberg style officer kokarde as well. Flat infantry style scales and fittings certainly do look German manufactured. Very very nice.👍

That is a truly fantastic looking pickelhaube.

It looks to be the same era as my Colombian sun helmet, which I also believe was made in Germany. So little has been written about these items. I suspect a handful of these items were made for officers. One theory I have is that these were produced for the officers who oversaw the purchase of German equipment including rifles, artillery, etc.

Attachments

• Colombian1.jpg
    Colombian1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
As per Bruno's post of the cover of the cover of the C.E. Junker Military Effects CATALOG circa 1932
I found the following plate 41 helmets similar . Plate 28 helmet plates # 58 is similar .Plate 29 is interesting with
# 74 as the rare Hessian plate . Steve
SC E J 29.jpegC E J 41.jpegteve
C E J  28.jpeg

Peter, Steve, thank you , interesting info! B.loree, yes, I also suspect that this this helmet is made out of cork, it sure has that typical cork smell :)

More photos:

4small.jpg6small.jpg7small.jpg8small.jpg9small.jpg10small.jpg

Three of the helmets on Page 41 are actually Siamese/Thai. The badges are similar to the Police and Royal Guard helmets used even today.

That's fascinating. I know Thailand used British sun helmets in the the 1930s. I had no idea the Royal Guards bought or considered buying German-made helmets! Wow.

Thanks for the follow-up pictures and the information from Peter and Steve for more background info. Steve, I noticed that your sun-helmet has Bavarian Police Lion Heads on the sides. Do you know if your helmet is connected with border or law enforcement?
John

Interesting helmet! The plate indicates it is from prior to 1923. Steve, are you able to post any other pics from the Juncker catalogue that show foreign helmets or their plates?

Yes ,
I can and will if members are interested to see them .This is a reprint from the original catalog done
by George Petersen some years ago . The pages and some items have numbers , however George
failed to include any text in the copy ; if there was one
Steve

P S
there are belt buckles ; cyphers and ringkragen ; maybe other items from memory .
I will not do these unless requested .I am happy to do any of it .
Steve

It seems that George did not put these in proper order .
I will list them as they appear in the reprint .
If any member sees a plate that they want to see just let me know .
Plate 25 ; ringkragen and cartouche boxes
P 26 ringkragen
P 27 officers belt buckles
P 30 epaulettes ; the most interesting one shown IMO is Hessian Dragoon Regt. 24 officer
P31 mainly officers shoulder straps
P 32 Bandoliers and shooting cords
P 33 pole tops
P 43 cartouche boxes ; Grenadier Regt. zu Pferde # 3 officer
Tafel I ringkragen
T II ringkragen
T III belt buckles ;looks like to me after WWI , but before WW II
T IV more belt buckles
next plate ; no I D # police shakos ;15 different ones
P b no I D helmets 16 to 4
P c no I D # firemen's helmets ? 1 to 16
P d no I D # front plates ; fireman ? 1 to 37
P e no I D # misc small metal insignia 38 to 143
next 18 more pages
I will just use my judgment what to scan
Steve

When the plate covers the full page , it is too large for my scanner.
Here is an example ; it will be done in 2 sections
Some of these I know as I G ; others are British ; some I do not know
Steve
T 1  a.jpeg
T 1  b.jpeg

T 4
If any members can I D some of the non German plates by number , please do so .
760 is interesting .Some sort of Anhalt plate .
SteveT 4 a.jpeg
T 4 b.jpeg

Thanks for the reply! Personally, I'd be interested in any accessories that were made for foreign markets, but in the German style. I have some pics of helmets from this catalogue, but they are very small and blurry...

I think the helmets are interesting P 34 ; top row helmet in the middle .What is it ? If we saw one would
we believe in it ? or call it a fake ?
2nd row right ; Mexican helmet with a metal body
SteveP 34.jpeg

Back