Crazed leather - what to do, if anything?

RussM

Hi everyone,

What is the best thing to do with a pickelhaube that has an even, crazed finish across most of the shell and both peaks?

When it comes to leather, I know there are several differing views on whether to apply a treatment or just leave it alone.

All I am looking for is some advice on the best thing to do, if anything, to protect and preserve the condition it is in.

Many thanks.

Russ

Here are some pics of what it looks like, so am looking for advice on whether to treat it with something or just leave it as it is. My goal is preservation and protection.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 15-14-11 Regimentals.png

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 15-14-27 Regimentals.png

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 15-15-02 Regimentals.png

IMO
an aged enlisted man helmet
this happens
you might spend more than you plan to
I would leave it " as is "
we each have our own way on doing things
as we collect these helmets
if it was an officer's helmet
then maybe
Steve

This craquelure comes mostly from an incorrect storage. If the leather shrinks due to insufficient moisturethe, the color coating will burst in such way. It can also be caused by changes in temperature, since the materials expand differently.
You could just sand the helmet down and repaint it, but I personally, like most others here, would advise against that. This finish is simply part of the history of the helmet.

I think I’m right in saying that a humidity of around 65% is what we’re looking to maintain in the room where our collections are displayed. Below 60% items begin to dry out and above 70% encourages mould growth. So if in the UK, turn your radiator thermostat down and place a bowl of water in the room. If nothing else you’ll have one happy dog watching over your collection!

I believe Tony recommended a humidity of 50% in his article. Canadian winters are cold and the household air gets very dry from central heating. We use small table top humidifiers in the bedroom and living room during this winter season. I could never achieve 65% here right now....40% tops.

Russ: check out my post “Two Helmets from Singapore” in the Restoration section. There you will find some other methods which can be used to correct the problem with your helmet, if that is your wish.

Last edited:
Thank you all very much for looking at this thread, and also for the advice you have given. I intend to just leave this as it is and not play around with it. I live in Auckland and we generally have high humidity here, so we have a de-humidifier in the house, close to the collection. It can certainly drag some moisture out! I haven't had any issues with leather items so far but wanted to check on this crazing as I don't have any leather items in that condition.

Russ: check out my post “Two Helmets from Singapore” in the Restoration section. There you will find some other methods which can be used to correct the problem with your helmet, if that is your wish.
Thanks - I've been reading some of the threads in the Restoration section and it is quite fascinating seeing what can be achieved if you know what you're doing! I will check out the Singapore thread! Cheers.

Back