Didier Laine book for sale on ebay Kleinanzeigen..

If I may...I would like some additional personal information on Laine if possible. what was his profession, when did he start collecting, was he wealthy in order to assemble his collection and achieve such renowned expertise?? What was his personal background...that apartment was certainly not for the ordinary person.
Brian, Didier Laine was a printer/editor, hence his privileged position to produce these illustrated books. He was also a talented drawer: all drawings in the book are by his own hand. It was difficult to surprise him; once I asked him what the next item on his shopping list was. He answered: "What could I still wish for...". And still, not long before he passed away, he acquired a fantastic helmet, a pristine Pickelhaube for a Mecklemburg general. I don't know how many of you have just even seen one for real, let alone own one... I remember the day when I visited him and he put it in my hands. He was so proud. The crowning of his collector career. I also remember whom he purchased it from...
As Steve pointed out, he was from the same generation as these legendary collectors: Preis, Hartmann (and Steve himself!), and some others in Europe, who probably acquired exceptional helmets at reasonable prices in those days.
(I have added some details in a pm, Brian).

If I may...I would like some additional personal information on Laine if possible. what was his profession, when did he start collecting, was he wealthy in order to assemble his collection and achieve such renowned expertise?? What was his personal background...that apartment was certainly not for the ordinary person. Why did he choose to publish these books? I have owned his book for decades and always found it very useful. I have two copies, my original bought back in the 1980's, has soiled pages with broken cover due to decades of use. The other, purchased from James a few years back is pristine.
Bruno
Will be able to answer all of these questions if he has the time
I have a collector friend who knew him but I have never asked these questions
interesting and would be good to know
I think that Bruno once told me that Laine did the artwork in his book .
Steve

Brian, Didier Laine was a printer/editor, hence his privileged position to produce these illustrated books. He was also a talented drawer: all drawings in the book are by his own hand. It was difficult to surprise him; once I asked him what the next item on his shopping list was. He answered: "What could I still wish for...". And still, not long before he passed away, he acquired a fantastic helmet, a pristine Pickelhaube for a Mecklemburg general. I don't know how many of you have just even seen one for real, let alone own one... I remember the day when I visited him and he put it in my hands. He was so proud. The crowning of his collector career. I also remember whom he purchased it from...
As Steve pointed out, he was from the same generation as these legendary collectors: Preis, Hartmann (and Steve himself!), and some others in Europe, who probably acquired exceptional helmets at reasonable prices in those days.
(I have added some details in a pm, Brian).
I didn't read on
so Bruno has already replied
Thanks Bruno for this insight
Steve

Here is the cover of the 2009 auction catalog of Kube
offering the Laine collection
80 lots
the officers miter on the cover Lot 31 went for 17,500 Euro before the commission
lot 55 was an officer Feldgrau dress hat for 2 L H R 2 ; it went for 3,300 Euro before the commission
sTEVEKube  Laine 2009.jpg

Here is the cover of the 2009 auction catalog of Kube
offering the Laine collection
80 lots
the officers miter on the cover Lot 31 went for 17,500 Euro before the commission
lot 55 was an officer Feldgrau dress hat for 2 L H R 2 ; it went for 3,300 Euro before the commission
sTEVEView attachment 27637
I posted this before I saw the other post
I had to dig out the catalog because I have every catalog that Kube
has published
I bid on the 2 L H R 2 hat and I was not even close
Steve

Magnificent. I love how the catalog is an homage to his book covers.

I just managed to replace L' Armée Allemande en 1914 this week, after foolishly selling it years (and years) ago...along with a lot of IG collectibles I wish I had hung on to! This one's a keeper...what a marvelous reference.

Magnificent. I love how the catalog is an homage to his book covers.

I just managed to replace L' Armée Allemande en 1914 this week, after foolishly selling it years (and years) ago...along with a lot of IG collectibles I wish I had hung on to! This one's a keeper...what a marvelous reference.
Yes , that was very nice of Kube to do that
of course it also got him a lot of bids and his 25 % commission
on each item sold .
His Saxon general with correct feather bush sold for only 10,000 Euro
a bargain by todays prices
Steve

And this one:

Attachments

• D-Lainé+Die-Uniformen-des-Deutschen-Heeres-1914.jpg
    D-Lainé+Die-Uniformen-des-Deutschen-Heeres-1914.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12
  • download (55).jpeg