Dirty Little Hessen Feld Arty No. 25 !

I put the rest of the fittings back on this helmet today. Here are the photos of the completed project:
938DF2EE-9EC0-46B8-878D-29E5A5C0F68D_1_201_a.jpeg
58D21FC1-18EC-44C3-A9E9-DA5F40D86C37_1_201_a.jpeg
The kugel has a bit of a tilt to it, usually this can be straightened but not in this case, so we have to accept it as is.
61FD19C3-2718-4B7E-9446-E3E556ADEB24_1_201_a.jpeg
I did take a chance with this kokarde and gently clean it with water, Dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush. This did remove some of the grime and the colours are brighter.

Last edited:
Thanks, it’s amazing how these helmets clean up with a bit of TLC! I used 000 steel wool on the shell to roughen it up then applied black shoe polish. The kugel and spine are bright right now but will “tone down “ in a few months.

It looks amazing Brian! You're the king of restoration work! Congratulations on bringing this one back to life!

I have a surprise to show you in the period photo category that I'll post later today, which you might enjoy seeing.

Best Wishes,

Alan

CCJ: It is now part of the Hessen family of helmets in my personal collection. The 5th member of this family actually and one which I never thought that I would own. However, at age 70 I realize that we all have to sell our collections in the end.

Wonderful transformation Brian, been AFK for quite a while and hadn't completely followed this process. Can you please clarify a point about the rear spine? First, I hadn't realised that 'false' exterior dome heads were sometimes used with concealed split brads to give the outward appearance of a Dragoner spine - was this commonly done? Also, on the 'disassembled parts' picture I see two split brads soldered on the spine but only one showing through on the interior picture of the skull. I am struggling to work out the mechanics of this!
Cheers,
Steve
PS: that wappen is without a doubt one of the best and most honest examples I have seen in a LOT of looking!

Thanks to all for their kind comments. Steve, the two brads seen on the outside of the spine have their prongs bent back and soldered to the underside of the spine which is unusual. Then, there are two additional prongs soldered to the spine which actually pierce the shell and are bent back over tin washers. My Hessen infantry officer helmet has the two spine brads but only the upper one has it’s prongs through the shell and bent back over a tin washer. The spine configuration on these officer helmets is definitely unique.

Thanks for that Brian, now I see how it works. You say it is unique so I'm guessing you have not seen any similar examples from other States.

Back