Displaying Swords

Peter B

Just waiting for my first sword (10th Hanover Artillery sword) and wondering how the different members display them? Photos would be great.

I know you can buy cases, stands etc. but most internet research seems to pull up displays of repro Japanese sword stands.

Also if anyone has made their own, tips would be appreciated.

Not sure if I want to put it on a stand (probably) or hang it on the wall.

Thanks.

Peter

Congratulations on getting the sword! I'm a bit of a sword nut myself and have them hanging all over the house. :) I make all my own mounts. Most of mine are directly on the wall. I use brass cuphooks (hold handles and scabbard rings) and elbow hooks (rest blade and scabbard on these). The brass looks pretty good and it bends pretty easy. You can bend the cuphooks so that they will work with the handle of the sword. If you have a sword with a "P" shape guard you just bend the hook out a little until the handle will rest in it. For swords with a bell guard (ie KD 89 or M52) you have to bend the cup hook 90 degrees so that it can hook into the openings in the guard.
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG
IMG_0243.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0247.JPG

I made two sword display cases and had them on the walls in the Dining Room of our old house.

Each was a simple square frame, no backing. Each was as tall as the longest sword.

Then I installed a horizontal piece across the top 1/3 to hang them on. Then I covered that in black automotive cloth.

Then I made a backing to fit perfectly inside the frame, and covered that with black cloth.

Then each sword was hung on the horizontal bar with ordinary shower curtain hooks. This allowed to move swords around as I added or arranged them.

It was very cheap to make, worked perfectly, and looked great.

DiningRoom2.jpg

Tony without Kaiser said:
I made two sword display cases and had them on the walls in the Dining Room of our old house.

Each was a simple square frame, no backing. Each was as tall as the longest sword.

Then I installed a horizontal piece across the top 1/3 to hang them on. Then I covered that in black automotive cloth.

Then I made a backing to fit perfectly inside the frame, and covered that with black cloth.

Then each sword was hung on the horizontal bar with ordinary shower curtain hooks. This allowed to move swords around as I added or arranged them.

It was very cheap to make, worked perfectly, and looked great.

Nice job on the sword cases Tony, and a very impressive array of cutlery there! :thumb up:

Can anyone tell me how long my saber would be? (10th Hanover Von Scharnhorst Artillery Saber) I forgot to ask the guy I'm buying it from and need to see if it will fit in the spot I am thinking of putting it. Thanks. Peter

Sword4.jpeg Sword.jpeg

Nice Lion head! These were all private purchase so there is some variability in size. I have 3, 2 are about 37 1/2 inches and the other is about an inch longer. Its appears to have a Prussian officer's portepee on it which would be correct. Does it have a scabbard?

Sandmann said:
cptbob said:
Sandmann said:
I only have one sabre and my display is selfmade :)
Nicely done Sandy! Is that the General's sword? Wow!
Thanks. Yes, it‘s a Sabre of Alfons of Bavaria with crowned Monogramm. A lucky strike :)

A lucky strike indeed! I would love to see some detailed shots of that. :bravo:

Yes it has the scabbard, which is in good shape. I don't have high quality pictures of the full sword yet. Thanks for the info!

Attachments

• Sword6.jpeg
    Sword6.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 411
My pleasure. If you display it in the scabbard that would add about an inch to the length. Good luck!

Thanks.

I think to start I'll use your cup hook system with one above the other. I would like to eventually make a nice wooden wall display down the road.

Cheers.

Peter

I use two styles of racks to hold swords. Both are simple to construct and can be adapted to swords or bayonets of any length. The first two are made from wood planks cut in a triangular shape to act as bases with dowels used as stringers to set the distance apart. Short dowels are then set into the upper edges of the bases to keep the swords separated.

The second style is merely two oak strips mounted to a wall with short dowels forming a ledge for each sword. The dowels are installed at a 5 to 10 degree upward slant to keep the swords from falling off the rack.

sword rack.jpg

sword rack2.jpg

P1010004.JPG

Back