Dreyse M1862

Finally got some photos ... hopefully you can view them here ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10309277@N08/with/6147739033/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The boots that are visible in one of the shots are my step-daughter's, I hasten to add!

Any info/comments gratefully received.

Keith

Fine Rifle, is it a Jagerbuchse?

Scratch said:
Next the rifle. (That nasty new-looking knock in the second-last picture was there when the dealer had it.) Apart from that I really like it; it’s nice and untouched. 1869 is the year of manufacture; 1870 is the year of issue:

5k0m0n.jpg

5vvyut.jpg

33kwsao.jpg

2uzfh8z.jpg

s48cxu.jpg

r8yv6f.jpg

sxd91d.jpg

Scratch said:
Next the rifle. (That nasty new-looking knock in the second-last picture was there when the dealer had it.) Apart from that I really like it; it’s nice and untouched. 1869 is the year of manufacture; 1870 is the year of issue:

5k0m0n.jpg

5vvyut.jpg

33kwsao.jpg

2uzfh8z.jpg

s48cxu.jpg

r8yv6f.jpg

sxd91d.jpg

Wyliecoyote said:
Thanks! No, it's the standard M1862 infantry rifle. I have this one and the M1841 infantry rifle. It would be nice to own the Jaegerbuchse too, but the Dreyse is an expensive firearm to collect.
[Note to self: must get Photobucket or Imageshack account as Tinypic seems to have a short half-life!]

Hello
Very interesting stamp of the saxon armee
SLG for Sächsische Leib Grenadier ( or GR 100)
this one was part of the Armee II, Armee Korps 12 ( Sächsische Division), Infanterie Division 23 ( first Sächsische Division), 45th Brigade
Regards

Hello Bernard

Thank you so much for that piece of information! It is wonderful to know which unit it belonged to, and this has renewed my interest. There is actually a photo of a man of this regiment in the Osprey book on Prussia's allies, possibly (ok, not very likely I know) holding this very rifle! Now I shall have to look up the part they played in the Franco-Prussian War.

Best wishes,

S.

Back