Enlisted man's helmet M1891 of the Landwehr Fusilier Regiment No. 40

Sandmann

Dear fellow collector friends,
I'm happy to present you my latest find, a helmet M1891. This rare enlisted man's helmet for a Prussian infantryman I have already acquired a few months ago, but unfortunately it came with a fake chinstrap and it took me some time to find the necessary original parts so that my friend Wojtek could stitch it together for me. I tried it on my own first, but stitching old leather is not a strength of mine because I'm just too clumsy.
So, dear Wojtek, once again: Thank you very much for your wonderful work.
IMG_7405.jpegIMG_7406.jpeg
IMG_7407.jpegIMG_7408.jpeg

The wearer served last in the Landwehr Fusilier Regiment No. 40, but I could not make the name inside readable! According to the stamps, the helmet probably was first used in 1893. However, the double stitching in the area of the ear leather points to a modified helmet M71 or M87. Since the stamps on the rear visor not start before 1893, the visors may have been replaced rather than modified during this rework.

Characteristics of the pickelhaube:
  • Height (incl. spike): 21,5 cm.
    • Height of the shell: 9,5 cm
    • Height of the spike: 8,7 cm.
  • Diam. of the spikebase: 7,6 cm.
  • Diam. of the blackened metal disc inside the helmet: 9,5 cm.
  • Width of the front visor: 4,4 cm
  • Width of the rear visor: 4,4 cm.
  • Dimensions of the eagle plate (measured with tape measure): 11,0 cm (H) x 14,0 cm (W).
The helmet eagle of the M91, unlike the M95, was attached to the helmet with threaded pins instead of the 2 wire loops with leather wedges.
IMG_7411.jpeg

• Width of the chinstrap restored from original parts: 1.6 cm. Dimensions of the brass lugs on the chinstrap: 3.8 cm x 2.1 cm x 0.2 cm.
  • Correct M91 rosette with ø1.3 cm and only 1 pin to prevent twisting.
IMG_7410.jpeg
From 1895, the rosette had ø1.4 cm and 2 pins as anti-rotation.

• Diameter of cockades: 4.7 cm.
  • Correct liner with 9 lashes.
  • Weight of the helmet: 453 grams.
  • 6 visible stamps: 1893 - III - F.R.40 - 12 - II - 1911
IMG_7412.jpeg
According to the stamp regulations I could imagine that these 6 stamps mean the following:
  • After production and acceptance, the helmet was stored in the storage room of the FR 40 (1st stamp). This happened in 1893 (2nd stamp).
  • The III. Battalion confirmed the receipt of the helmet with the 3rd stamp.
  • The helmet was handed out for the first time in 1911 (4th stamp), to the 12th Company (5th stamp). The helmet then probably belonged to the II. set of the wearer (6th stamp - I could imagine, because the helmet was in storage for a long time in 1911 and it was just given to a reservist)

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate your opinion :)

@John Josef:
The chinstrap is made from original parts that I collected from various places over the last few months. It took some time to find antique lugs with the correct patina, but I was able to buy antique parts on ebay and from other collectors (thanks Amy 🙏). After a few fails I finally had some luck and found brass parts with the correct thickness for Prussian infantry (2,0 mm) that looked similar to my M91 rosettes. I simply had to hung these parts outside on a roofed place of my house wall for ca. 1.5 months, which was enough for the brass to get an aged look.
The leather is also antique leather that I found on eBay. It was used for a reproduction chinstrap with bad brass parts, which I carefully disassembled. Wojtek then stiched it together for me, as it tore 2x during my attempts. Fortunately, however, the leather was still long enough for further use (chinstrap leather should be 51 cm to 52 cm long).

Congratulations, Wojtek looks to have done a fine job, I can't see the stitching but the finished product certainly looks the part (y)

Thank you very much John Josef. I don‘t have photos of the stitching, but it looks absolute original. Wojtek did a great job.

Hello Sandy,
Superb!
Congratulations and thanks for the information.
And yes, the hull has indeed been reassembled, as can be seen from the traces of the old stitching on the side reinforcements, where the side posts are broached.

Regarding the M91 models, most Reserve-Landwehr eagles feature the screw-and-nut fasteners. In 1895, with the advent of the new models, some M91s were recycled as M95s, to be returned to the active regiment, while others were simply stored as they were in the R.B.A. (Reserve Bekleidungs Amt).
Small note: only active regiments could have the distinction, Grenadier or Fusilier. FR40, but RIR40 and LIR40 (with rare exceptions, such as the first Battalion of RIR109, which was a Grenadier or IGBRIR109 in 1914).

The FR40, RIR40 and LIR40 were Prussian AK XIV regiments garrisoned in Baden.

Thank you for your additional information, Thierry. I always learn a lot from you and appreciate your opinion (y)

Back