Enlisted man's Neusilber Spike Base & Removable Spike

ww1czechlegion

Offered is an enlisted man's Neusilber Spike and Removable Spike.

I believe this may have been a ground dug piece that is surprisingly in quite good condition. There is some small dark spotting on the removable spike, and much less on the base and neck area.

Someone re-soldered the neck of the spike to the base, before I ever acquired it.

I believe the threaded screw post has been re-soldered to a newer (?copper?) base plate inside the removable spike by someone, long before I ever acquired it about 10 years ago.

I used this on my Eisenbahn Regiment 1 helmet up until now, and it actually looked quite nice, with the scattered small dark spots on the top part of the spike. When I acquired my helmet from a friend, the screw off portion of the spike was missing, and it's almost impossible to find matched threads/screw posts, so I had used this one on the helmet up until now.

Asking $80.00

Payment via PayPal is o.k. I prefer "friends and family" or add 4% to cover the fee.

USA Postage: $12

Canada Postage: $18.00

UK, Belgium, France, Germany, Poland Postage: $24.00

Singapore Postage: $28.00

Thanks,

Alan

101_5932.JPG

101_5933.JPG

101_5934.JPG

101_5935.JPG

101_5936.JPG

101_5937.JPG

101_5938.JPG

101_5939.JPG

101_5940.JPG

Hello Alan!
There were more than eight types of inch and later metric threads used.I have a colleague from Gdansk,who repairs all brass parts for pickelhaubes.It has all the original tools of the era.If you want I can give you a contact to him.He fixes such bad states that you can not believe it.

Attachments

• 20211129_174620.jpg
    20211129_174620.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211129_174734.jpg
    20211129_174734.jpg
    896.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20211129_174745.jpg
    20211129_174745.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Is this really a "tap and die" device (you're calling it a threading device), or is it a really a device for checking or measuring the thread sizes in order to verify the thread size of the various Imperial German screws?

No offense intended, but to me it looks like this wonderful tool you have shown is simply a measuring device which would be used to verify the various thread sizes used in the Imperial German Military, in order to make sure they would match up the correct size screw and nut. I can see that it is an "Issued" piece, as it has been stamped with a unit marking, probably for a Quartermaster Depot where it likely would have been used.

Notice how the metal "block" can be changed out? The threaded screw is not used for "tapping" or making a threaded nut. The various threaded "Die" sizes shown being held in the device is a measuring Gauge that was used for checking the thread sizes, not for making them.

This is not a "threading" device "per say", which you have shown, it is only a tool used to check the "Die" thread sizes of the various Imperial German Screw sizes that they used in the military.

I have actually used a "tap and die" device many times in my younger years to make a bolt or screw, or to thread a new nut. The device you have shown will not make a new screw or a nut, it will only measure the thread sizes on a screw.

A "tap and die" device is something different, used for cutting bolt or screw sizes and making nuts for threaded screws and bolts.

from wikipedia:
Taps and dies are tools used to create screw threads, which is called threading. Many are cutting tools; others are forming tools. A tap is used to cut or form the female portion of the mating pair (e.g. a nut). A die is used to cut or form the male portion of the mating pair (e.g. a bolt). The process of cutting or forming threads using a tap is called tapping, whereas the process using a die is called threading.

Both tools can be used to clean up a thread, which is called chasing. However, using an ordinary tap or die to clean threads generally removes some material, which results in looser, weaker threads. Because of this, machinists generally clean threads with special taps and dies—called chasers—made for that purpose. Chasers are made of softer materials and don't cut new threads. However they still fit tighter than actual fasteners, and are fluted like regular taps and dies so debris can escape. Car mechanics, for example, use chasers on spark plug threads, to remove corrosion and carbon build-up.

Here is a Spiral Tap:

Spiral Tap Point.jpg

Various Taps:
Various Taps.jpg

Various Tap Wrenches:

Various Tap Wrenches.jpg

Various Threading Die Sizes for making screws and bolts. This is the tool needed to cut a new Bolt or Screw. Of course these are all for much larger size bolts and screws than what would have been used on Imperial German Helmet Screws:

Various Threading Die Sizes.jpg

May I politely suggest posting this item in the "General Discussion" section which would be most appropriate, rather than burying this subject in the "for sale" thread section of a neusilber spike for sale that has been sold?

I'm not sure how my for sale item thread morphed into a suggestion that I might want to have your friend in Gdansk repair this spike that I posted for sale. Then you morphed the for sale item discussion into posting your very nice tool here. This has me trying to understand why you chose to do this. I am Not offended, but I am greatly puzzled and a bit amused as to why you did this.

The General Discussion area is found here: https://www.pickelhaubes.com/xf/forums/general-discussion.14/

You might want to: 1.) re-post a separate info thread about your nice friend in Gdansk who can repair spikes. And #2.) Post a separate thread on your very nice and rare tool. It would seem much more appropriate to post these nice topics where someone could much easier find discussion on these topics, rather than to "bury" your excellent ideas in a "for sale" thread. Does this make sense to you?

Best Wishes,

Alan

May I politely suggest posting this item in the "General Discussion" section which would be most appropriate, rather than burying this subject in the "for sale" thread section of a neusilber spike for sale that has been sold?

I'm not sure how my for sale item thread morphed into a suggestion that I might want to have your friend in Gdansk repair this spike that I posted for sale. Then you morphed the for sale item discussion into posting your very nice tool here. This has me trying to understand why you chose to do this. I am Not offended, but I am greatly puzzled and a bit amused as to why you did this.

The General Discussion area is found here: https://www.pickelhaubes.com/xf/forums/general-discussion.14/

You might want to: 1.) re-post a separate info thread about your nice friend in Gdansk who can repair spikes. And #2.) Post a separate thread on your very nice and rare tool. It would seem much more appropriate to post these nice topics where someone could much easier find discussion on these topics, rather than to "bury" your excellent ideas in a "for sale" thread. Does this make sense to you?

Best Wishes,

Alan
This is due to my mistake because I did not read that this item is for sale.I thought you were looking for help to match the item.Regards.
Wojtek

Back