Ersatz pickelhaube factory

Fantastic! The picture is superb, I would love that on my wall ! And the Ersatz Pickelhaube is stunning.

Regards
Andrew

Great detail, What do you think the other helmet shells are? The look dark coloured or black could they be pressed tin ?
Please place an order for me, I will take a box of each type.

Andy

MG34NZ said:
Great detail, What do you think the other helmet shells are? The look dark coloured or black could they be pressed tin ?
Please place an order for me, I will take a box of each type.

Andy

:-k Andy ,you are right ,they are all steel sheet helmets ,I have misled this post by portraying a felt helmet in front ,but after a close examine ,I can see some facts that point towards “stahlblech”.

1 Not one helmet in the picture has a helmet without spike .
2 In front of the boy we can see insulation caps (left side corner of the picture).
3 There is a lot of hammering going on, rather than stitching.
4 On the feldgrau helmets ,we can see that the side posts have the same color as the helmet.

This helmet would be a better example.

I think it’s safe to say that this picture is the production hall of R.Von Heyden Berlin 1914 … :-"

Looks like it is, the features of your helmet match pretty wel with those on the picture

This helmet even has the black underneath it,maybe thats why there are two diffrent types to see in that picture, the original black ones and the fieldgrey ones

Jonas

Indeed Jonas ,these particular helmets are only feldgrau on the surface.
This is the inside.

I have one in my collection that is entirerly black like most of them i guess
Maybe they where painted becose when there black they are kinda shiny and therfore an easy target in the field
So how manny that where painted that is someting that wil remain a mistory
This particilar helmet in this conditon is a rarety that for sure

Jonas

I also would love to have that poster on my wall......Well done! I was wondering what the woman in the foreground...using the "press machine " is doing?? she has some wappen stacked beside her. I could see such a hand press as this, being used to install the M91 posts but I can not see any helmets near her. Also, anyone have an idea of what those thin violin shaped things are that we see stacked in the middle of the pic? This such a great foto!

My helmet from this factory. This is the most perfect and complete "kit helme" that I have ever seen. The only thing missing is the dome part for the snap fastener at the back of the liner. I bought it back in the 90's from Randy Trawnik at the MAX Show in Pittsburgh.

A pic showing some of the unique features of the "kit helme"..... "V" notched kokarden, a unique system for attaching the wappen, and a very thin brass stamping, last, the filz scull cap. Other unique characteristics...no slider vent on the rear spine, 2 tanged M91 posts and the use of hex nuts instead of the usual square ones.

The helmet's pristine interior showing the 2 piece, very thin cork band which surrounds the edge of the shell. This helme is a size 58, so we have an "8" in the top of the shell. You can also see how the wappen and spike are fastened to the haube.

The company markings on the underside of the front visor.... R v. d. H Berlin Sch. 58. There are 2-3 numbers/letters which have been worn away. This helmet could very easily be one of the ones stacked up in the picture which began this thread. I know of no other company that marked their helmets in this manner... stenciled in gold. R. Van der Heyden I believe is a Dutch name, ironically, I taught 2 VdH student brothers during the early 80's.

Back