Ersatz pickelhaube factory

spectacular helmets gentlemen, I would love one of these tin helmets but so far they are something that has eluded me

Andy

Andy ,a pickelhaube collection without a stahlblech is incomplete ! :p just teasing…

Any idea who made the single piece helmet James ?

Very nice James, we share a couple of similar pieces...I will post pics of my feldgrauer tomorrow. :)

Indeed a very nice and complete example of a R. Van Heyden Brian. Hey you're up late. :)

It is no surprise to me that Van Heyden is Dutch ,”neutral” Holland also made a lot of uniforms for the Germans ,and a guy called Fokker provided planes , yes you will always find our northern neighbors where there is money to be made ,it’s called “being smart” :-"

Here you go James, the exact same helmet only with no markings/name.

A good shot of the rivet which holds the liner band to the shell, there is a second one under the wappen and the 2 sets of M91 prongs holds the sides.

A pic of the liner system showing the filz band to which the leather liner is stitched.

This helme has never been cleaned and still bears the dried mud of the trenches. I bought this years ago, from Dave Hiorth who now owns Military Antiques Toronto. This was before he had a store and it came in a swap he made with The Simcoe County Foresters Regimental Museum. The Foresters are our local reserve Batt. He had some stuff they wanted and he knew he could sell this to me faster than a New York minute! :)

Thanks James.....I really wish mine had the nice markings like yours but you can't have everything. They both are very nice pieces, have you noticed the difference in liner tongues that these have compared to any leather or filz OR"s haube? They are wider, more "stubby" in shape. I really think that yours and mine are "brothers", made by the same company, at least the shells were. Yours is a true M15 with feldgrau painted fittings, My fittings are chemically darkened brass and the spike is M95 style. Note also the rolled rim on these pieces which creates an extra step in manufacture, they got rid of that I believe, on the M42 WW2 stahlhelme.
PS: My leather strap on this helmet has brass fittings to match those on the rest of the helmet, are the fittings on your chin strap brass or steel?

So to summarize, what we have learned from a picture that generated real examples of what we saw in a factory production scene. First, one example of a beautiful M15 feldgrau filz helme also seen in the foto. Second, one example of a feldgrau painted kit helme with black interior. Third, 2 examples of black kit helmets with all brass fittings also seen in this picture. Then, James and I posted 2 examples of similar feldgrau ersatz tin hauben which are not kit helmets. Mine has chemically treated brass M95 type fittings while his has feldg. painted M15 fittings. The shells and liners are exactly the same though, which would suggest the same company made them. My thanks to all for their kind comments, we do continue to learn here about our beloved hats! If any other member can provide further examples from their collections, please do so. A :thumb up: to all members for their comments.

Spiker said:
Andy ,a pickelhaube collection without a stahlblech is incomplete ! :p just teasing…

Some day I hope to have a real collection....I will just have to keep accumulating until I do :D

Wish list : Stahlbelch
: Grabenpanzer
: Anything else that attracts my attention.....LOL

b.loree said:
James and I posted 2 examples of similar feldgrau ersatz tin hauben which are not kit helmets. Mine has chemically treated brass M95 type fittings while his has feldg. painted M15 fittings. The shells and liners are exactly the same though, which would suggest the same company made them.

Indeed Brian, they are both from the same company, namely C. Henke from Witten, The helmet from James has a removable spike, meaning it was produced last.

Thanks Ed for that information, how were you able to find out the name of the company? There are no markings that I can see.

from a book :-" ...also, that mark is visible in James helmet ,it is on the liner ,in a place where it would not last long after wearing the helmet.

Thanks Ed...I see where it is on James helmet. So I now see 5 1/2 faintly on mine so no maker name but size 55 1/2 cm. I think I can see a faint size marking on James' helme as well in the exact same spot, to the right of the stitch line.

Nice photo and helmets all! I want a job in that factory. :wink:
Here are mine. Not as nice as some of yours but:

I never noticed the little extra leather strip that is where the snap should be. Interesting.

:D Ron

I like your helmets too Ron ,both of them have seen some action ,as we can see by looking at the liners.

Counting those helmets is how I fall asleep. :laughing6:

Back