Finally! 6th Kurassier.

poniatowski

This arrived today. I've wanted a 6th Kurassier helmet since I was 8, 47 years ago. I'm going to post mostly the Weitz photos, because I haven't had a chance to do any camera work yet.

180026_1.jpg

Front view. I like the taller spike, nice plate, etc.

180026_4.jpg

Side view.

180026_5.jpg

It has a not very cool replacement liner and the neck guard lining is also gone. However, the front visor's leather is still intact. I'd imagine this was a private purchase enlisted helmet, since it has some nice features to it.

100_7478.jpg

Proof that it is indeed 'in my hands'. :) Notice my models above the kitchen sink... proof that my wife is VERY tolerant of my 'interests'.

100_7482.jpg

On the shelf temporarily. I'm waiting for ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL helmet (these things always come in swarms 'too good to pass up'.) Once that one comes, the new additions will be behind 'glass' with the helmets on the lower shelf.

:D Ron

Congrats Ron for finally doing it! Love the shine on that helmet and the cavalry bird... =D>

Any date on it? If not, what period/model would it be?

Thanks! Yes, it was on Weitz. Like I said, I've been trying to find / purchase one for a long time and wanted an enlisted helmet because that's the kind I'd seen years ago. I saw it on Sunday, then purchased it Monday after contacting Weitz... so it wasn't on for more than a week. I know the liner is crap, but it displays nice, so... well, y'know.
RON, I think it's around an 1898 or so, maybe earlier, but there's no date. The only marking is the size '56'.
It has a one piece neck guard, similar to officer models and the narrower silver trim. I haven't cleaned the finger prints off of it yet, but will soon. It always amazes me how 'gold' these things look when lit by sunlight or photo lamps, but how 'copper' they actually are. An odd effect of tombak, I guess.

Nice helmet and the other helmets in your cupboard are also very impressive! Thanks for sharing :D

Regards,

Edwin

Thanks again all... yes, it was an itch that needed scratching. Now I can go to museums and not drool over their examples... I'm sure the docents and guards will be pleased; not to mention the cleaning crews.

We're collectors Ron; there's always something new to drool on =P~ ... The itch never goes; it just moves/evolves...

Any markings behind the kokarden on the shell or behind the wappen on the shell? I love that about these Kurassier helmets, that they have those "secret" markings.

Ron, with respect to the shape of the skull I would say this is perhaps a later model, around 1910.
Bruno

Thanks all.

I haven't taken anything apart yet, but if this was a private purchase, I doubt I'll find any markings other than size. We'll see! :)

poniatowski said:
Notice my models above the kitchen sink... proof that my wife is VERY tolerant of my 'interests'.
God bless you, Ron!! :D

A very nice new toy you have there!! Congrats!! Christmas + birthday feeling on the same April day! :wink:

Philippe :salute:

Super nothing better than a dream come true, I see you have your priorities right pics of you and your beloved at the top and your helmets below :D good work keeping the misses happy and yourself :cool:

Back