From Hermann Militaria

RON

Did anyone try their latest auction (Nr.61)?

I tried my luck with an absentee bidding form after shortlistings the items I liked that weren't too expensive to start with. All on my list but 1 sky-rocketed to Euro prices beyond my wildest imagination...

Their most expensive hammer price in the 'Orders and International Historical Collectibles' catalogue was a pair of bronze busts of Tsar Alexander I & Tsarina Elisaveta Alexeevna c1810 which sold for €56,000! (That's close to $81,000!! Had I stumbled on these at a local flee market, I wouldn't have purchased them for $25 but that's my personal opinion)

Anyway, to make a long story short, I 'won' the below pair of swords (which seem to have post-WW1 portepees):
HermannHistorica.jpg

I wanted the Prussian Infantry Officer Degen; the other one came as a bonus. And since I have a friend who lives just a few blocks away in Munich, I get to save on the shipping costs...

Indeed Tony... Here's the lot's full description:

Degen M1889 für Offiziere der Infanterie.
Vernickelte klinge mit eingeschlagener fundus(?) nummer.
In resten vergoldetes bügelgefäß, klappstichblatt mit durchbrochenem wappenadler.
Schwarzer kunststoffgriff mit drahtwicklung, aufgelegter chiffre "WR II" und jägerhorn.
Brünierte eisenscheide.
Mit portepee.

Dazu Bayerischer säbel für Artillerie offiziere.
Klinge mit devisenätzung, vernickeltes gefäß.
Rostiger fundzustand.
Mit portepee.

I got most of it:
M1889 Infantry Officer sword.
Nickel-plated blade with ???
Gilt hilt residues, engraved folding leaf with etched eagle crest.
Backelite handle with wire wrap, applied 'WRII' monogram & jäger horn.

Bavarian Artillery Officer saber.
??? blade, nickel ???.
Rusty ???.

Both with blackened iron scabbards & sword knots.

Anything more you guys could tell me on these 2 swords would be much appreciated.

I tried to complete ...:

...I got most of it:
M1889 Infantry Officer sword.
Nickel-plated blade with stamped (find ?) number
Gilt hilt residues, engraved folding leaf with voided eagle crest.
Backelite handle with wire wrap, applied 'WRII' monogram & Jäger horn.
Browned iron scabbard.
With portepee.

Bavarian Artillery Officer saber.
Blade with acid etched motto, nickelplated hilt.
Rusty, as found. With portepee.

Both with blackened iron scabbards & sword knots....

Hope you don't mind,

Francis

Sorry my mistake: "Fundus" means theatre props: so possibly: a number added by the theatre company prop master ??

Great ! I especialy like the Jäger Degen. :)
Rgds,
Francis

Thanks again Francis, but what 'theatre company prop master' all about? Are you saying this sword might have been used after the war by some theatre company who might have tampered with it?
The scabbard looks as if it was blued whan the artillery sword's was painted black... Could this be one of the 'theatre's' alterations (the renewal of the scabbard)?

Would not bother me a bit. I have dozens of hats and tunics with theatre company and costume company stamps. Does not alter the value of the item one bit. I thank GAWD for these companies, as if they had not been there to harvest, these items would have been lost.

My rarest cap exists because of a costume company. HERE

You're right; I had seen many nicely-preserved WW2 German items 'recycled' (and thus saved) by such companies, mainly in former Czechoslovakia (e.g. Statni Film), and later sold for peanuts at the fall of the Soviet Block.

But what about the difference between the blackened scabbard (the Art. säbel) and the blued one (the Jäger degen), the portepees (which both seem post WW1), & the leather Jäger sword belt hook; anything wrong or unusual there? Also, are both swords Officer models as described?

Tony without Kaiser said:
Would not bother me a bit. I have dozens of hats and tunics with theatre company and costume company stamps. Does not alter the value of the item one bit. I thank GAWD for these companies, as if they had not been there to harvest, these items would have been lost.

My rarest cap exists because of a costume company. HERE

First, nice acquisitions Ron!

Second, I agree 100% with Tony. I purchased a mint pre-WWII US tanker helmet ("Doughnut dome") that was in an Australian theater company's prop room since WWII. Doesn't bother me a bit that it's from a theater, as a matter of fact, it's a nice part of its history!

:D Ron

RON said:
Their most expensive hammer price in the 'Orders and International Historical Collectibles' catalogue was a pair of bronze busts of Tsar Alexander I & Tsarina Elisaveta Alexeevna c1810 which sold for €56,000! (That's close to $81,000!! Had I stumbled on these at a local flee market, I wouldn't have purchased them for $25 but that's my personal opinion)

You should come to SOS one year... there is a guy who sets up in the back, not too far from the Joe and the Gang Experience. That guy has tank road wheels, storage crates, and every year wheels in a massive stone statue of a German WWII soldier. I'm not sure if it is a grave marker or what. The price isn't quite $80,000 but even at the $5,000 he wants I think it is crazy.

That said... I'm redoing my backyard and garden and for kicks I looked up how much a statue of Augustus, the First Roman Emperor would cost. I thought about some really tacky stuff like that... at $3000 I'm out! $300 maybe and I'd still think it was too high.

So I hear you on $25 for a bust. I think you and are on the same line of thinking on those prices!

Gents, were all WW1 sword scabbards PAINTED black or were some BLUED (chemically blackened) as well?
In other words, what does it mean if an IMPERIAL ISSUED sword is dated 1915 on the spine--with all the other appropriate markings: Crown & W cypher, inspection proof--and has a blued scabbard (with the correct post-1906 1-ring hanger)??

As an added note (forgive me), Feldpostbeamten carried the Infanterieoffizierdegen and their insignia was the hunting horn. So.....there is the possibility that this is a military postal official's sword.

Chip

Hey Chip, are you saying we've got 2 possiblilities now:
> Either a Jäger Degen
> or some sort of Military Boy Scout??

I would definitely prefer the 1st option! If it were the case, what kind of Jäger Officer would carry this sword (specialty, regiment, etc.)?

Back