From Hermann Militaria

Ronny,

It does look like there are two possibilities. I think the horn is just a private add-on. I could not find anything that would indicate that either Jäger officers or postal officials officially used the horn on their swords.

Chip

Hello all,
For starters, I'm posting closeups of the Post 1910 M1889 Prussian (Light) Infantry Degen my friend from Munich finally brought along with him (after over a year from purchase date!)...
As you can see, the (magnetic steel) scabbard is blued, not painted, but I guess both took place in WW1.
As far as 'Fundus' (theatre company) marking is concerned as described earlier in this post, all I could find is a '92' engraved on the nickel-plated (magnetic steel) blade not far from the hilt... I'm assuming this is it.
As for the Jäger (Light Infantry) horn, it looks like it's made of (non-magnetic) silver (contrasts with the gilted WRII monogram above it) and has been professionally installed with discrete/concealed pins piercing the handle (properly centered under the monogram & firmly fixed; no movement whatsoever)... so it looks original to the sword or at least added by a professional during WW1.
I've also included closeups of the sword hanger that came with it: It has 2 steel adjustment buckles and a non-magnetic gilted hook (the latter's spring is magnetic)... I hope it's WW1/original to my Degen?
As for the portepee--darn these sword knots! :ANGRY: --I'll share more photos in another post as I still can't make if it's WW1 or post-war.
PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910a.jpg
PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910f.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910l.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910g.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910i.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910j.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910k.jpg

PrussianInfantryOfficerDegenSwordM1889-post1910m.jpg

Caps-PrussianInfantryOfficerHeadgear-WW1b.jpg

Thanks gentlemen! Actually, I was surprised to see how fairly short and light this (classic) sword is.
Any further info that would help in dating the knot (and the other similar 2 posted elsewhere), please let me know...

PrussianInfantryOfficerGrouping-WW1e.jpg

Hello guys,
As my Bavarian Artillery sword--please scroll all the way up for a photo--came with what looks like a 3rd Reich Wehrmacht silver dagger knot, I'm wondering if the Bavarian knot currently posted on eBay would fit mine?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380460330796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If not, would anyone have a photo of an actual Bavarian Artillery portepee to show me? Or perhaps a scan of it from Kreutz's Edged Weapon Accouterments of Germany or similar?

Back