Garde Artillery Haube on Ebay

nzef1940

Greetings all

I would appreciate some comments on this one, considering its all kosher - what would a fair price range be?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Prussia-field-artillery-spiked-helmet-100-Original-nice-/290499947924?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3256d94

Also is the screw off ball indicative of foot artillery and if so should the chinstrap plates be flat and not convex?

The owner can not make out the unit mark on the back flap.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but convex chinscales would indicate a field artillery (mounted) unit, while flat would indicate fuss artillery. (?)

Without good markings, you can never be sure if it's 100% correct for that unit. I'm sure Tony and others know some good ways to see markings better. For my part, I've found that changing lighting conditions; sunlight, fluorescent, etc. can show different things.

Price? Well, that's up to you. When I was a kid, these were $25, but $150 when I started collecting. They never seem to get any cheaper.

:D Ron

Thanks, is the screw off ball indicative of foot artillery? or is that just a red herring?

An indication of current market price would be helpful.

While I love Pickelhaubes I am primarily a WW1 camo helmet man, so need as much help as I can get from you fellows.

Thanks

Mike

The best way to find current market price is to do some searching and researching. There are dealers who have helmets for sale and ebay is also a good indicator. Military shows, antique shows, etc.

Market price will vary from auction to auction, seller to seller. The best I've ever been able to find is a 'ballpark' estimate and that was by looking all over the web to get ideas. Usually a dealer will be higher than ebay, but not always. So, do some searching.

I have a similar helmet with a screw base Kugel. I'm sure somebody who's more knowledgeable can tell you if it's right or not.

Ron

Thanks, is the screw off ball indicative of foot artillery? or is that just a red herring?

No indicator of the type of unit- just means this could have taken a parade plume. :)

Thanks chaps

I know the images are not the best, but does the haube look 'right'

Thanks again

Mike

It's ended - did you get it?

'KBAG' marked - correct for a Guard unit, no extra holes in the front, nice pair of NCO cockades, correct unscrew spike....it look's pretty good to me.

Yes, I did thanks, waiting to receive in post.

Thanks for the reassurance.

spikeymikey said:

'KBAG' marked - correct for a Guard unit, no extra holes in the front, nice pair of NCO cockades, correct unscrew spike....it look's pretty good to me.

nzef1940 said:
Yes, I did thanks, waiting to receive in post.

Thanks for the reassurance.

spikeymikey said:

Well, if you bought the helmet, then I think it's in the fair price range, right?
Enjoy your new find! I'm waiting for one in the mail as well. Nothing as special as a Guard helmet though... a simple Bavarian M98 em.

You did not pay too much, you just bought it too early, look back in a year, and I think you will think you got a bargin.
Best
Gus

I don't think you paid too much. This particular configuration was only worn by less than 0.7% of the army in 1914. The going price for this type of helmet over the past 18 months has been $1800 to $2800 depending upon condition. I think you paid a fair price for it, and you've got a very nice helmet.

I think that's around £925. The liner looks a little fragile and worn in places but I reckon it's cool for that amount. Can't recall the last time I saw one of these. I have an M15 version which I think is rare also. Lets see some more pics of this one!

nzef1940 said:
Helmet arrived, its all good, however I paid US$1500.00 which I think is a little bit steep..

Well, they never get any cheaper. I think you did fine as well. When I look at my shelves with the helmets I've bought in the last two years, I have the equivalent of a Harley Davidson Superglide Custom sitting there.
I'd rather have the helmets.

Here are my pics, note it has no extra holes in the front etc.
garde.jpg
[/url]

Back