Garde Dragoner #1 Restoration

Great result :thumb up: I'm not a fan of polishing the brass from the pickelhaubes, but i wouldn't mind having this one in my collection.

Greetings

Pickelhaube

Yes Leone, the patina will come back. When adding missing parts, it is better to clean everything back to the same "like new" condition so that the patina will match over time. The spike and base from A of K was a dark brown in colour which did not match the original fittings. It would have looked weird...dark brown spike on a lighter base.

then you have a point on polishing it intirely it would be like a painting,a mixmax of colours
then this was the easy way of doing so

jonas

Great job as ever, Brian, but can't you have the eagle reshaped so that it will stick closer to the shell?...

I did not want to risk further complications Bruno. The shell has shrunk 4.5 cm over time, the screw posts of the wappen still line up. If I tried to achieve a closer fit then the right post might not have lined up with its hole. I did not want to get into bending the wappen. I was extremely relieved when the front visor trim went back on easily despite having to make a second hole for the split brad. That had played on my mind off and on for days as well as the question....will the spine fit now?? :-?

Brian

As always, I'm fascinated by your detailed descriptions of the restoration process and impressed and amazed by the final results you achieve. Thanks for putting your time and effort into these posts.

Patrick

Wonderful restoration Brian, and thank you for the advice you have given me over the years in my own restorations! When I restored the M1860 Dragoner, it had many cracked stitch lines on the visors, and a couple of small missing pieces. I used superglue and new thick leather to do the repairs and then re-drilled the holes. The superglue capillaries through the leather fibres for a very strong connection. The thick leather on the M1860 made this technique very effective, maybe not so good on a fine leather Private Purchase helmet?

Back