Garde Dragoner: Johan Weber

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
This helmet belongs to James and was purchased at the SOS 2018. The helmet belonged to Johan Weber as it has his name tag in it size is 57cm. As usual, any information that can be provided on this individual would be most welcome. Problems: Both visors need restitching, helmet and fittings are very dirty and are to be cleaned. Trichter cap needs resoldering on to screw post, spike top is bent. This is a private purchase haube and seems to have been produced sometimes after 1871/99 as seen by the officer liner, pearl ring and one Prussian OR's kokarde. The wappen although pierced crown does not have the enameled officer star, both visors are unlined which suggests a dienst helme. The Garde star although not enameled is custom purchase. The pics:
IMG_6107%20-%20Copy-L.jpg

IMG_6108-L.jpg

IMG_6109-L.jpg

IMG_6110-L.jpg

IMG_6111-L.jpg

IMG_6112-L.jpg

The officer liner which was worn 1842-1880 (Larcade V1, pg 30)

IMG_6114-L.jpg

The paper label is located under the liner on the rear part of the shell. The helmet came with whitehorse hair trichter and CDV presumably of Johan in parade dress.

I was thinking just a bit soap and thats it,but there wil be more to it than that
Nothing to dificult for you so you will bring it back to live
Good luck👍👍

Yes Jonas, not as challenging as the last Dragoner! I am really looking forward to some information on Johan Weber. :)

A series of photos updating this post showing work which has been done. A good shot of how the visor is pinned into place, all stitch holes both in visor and shell have been cleaned out. You can see how the lines made by the rear spine line up correctly. The original stiching of this helmet also helped out, because the "stitcher" skipped over the rear seam so there was a large stitch and one hole on either side. This made it easier to line things up so I could begin pinning from each of these holes and work my way back to the corners of the visor counting holes and inserting the pins. In my experience, this skipping over the rear seam was rarely done, they just stitched right across.

I just can't seem to master this on site posting of pictures, it is still a pain in the ass, so back to SmugMug where there is absolutely no trouble.
IMG_6182-L.jpg

A close up during the first pass, you can see that every other hole is stitched in, you go across once and then back again to where you started. You can also see why I prefer to stitch outside on sunny days, you can maneuver the shell so the light is focused where you want it.

IMG_6185-L.jpg

Next, the front visor pinned into position. Usually, the trim is taken off but in this case it was on very tight and there was no sense taking it off.

IMG_6188-L.jpg

Rear visor done and spine back in place.

IMG_6190-L.jpg

Fittings were very dirty but they cleaned up well.

IMG_6193-L.jpg

Officer wappen but OR's Garde Star remember, this is a private purchase pre 1897 helmet with one Prussian Kokarde.

IMG_6194-L.jpg

This style of rear spine which just curls over the edge of the visor is rare but I have seen this before. With 2 soldered split brads on the spine there is no danger of it moving. More to come.

Looking good Brian, can hardly wait to get it back and put that super cool trichter and plume that came with it on!

James

I put Humpty Dumpty back together again today, so here are photos of the helmet as it is now:

IMG_6197-L.jpg

IMG_6198-L.jpg

IMG_6200-L.jpg

IMG_6199-L.jpg

IMG_6201-L.jpg

If you look at the original photos, the spike was tilted forward, I managed to put it back in a more proper position today before locking it down on the top of the shell. Considering that this helmet dates to before 1888 due to it's liner it is in remarkable condition. There was a CDV that came with this helmet, presumably of Johan in parade dress and wearing this helmet....James you need to post that here to really complete this restoration. :)

Just a miner thing i noticed ,there is some shellac gone on this helmet
I was wondering if you just do those little spots will that work for the end result or is it always "if you do one spot you better do the whole helmet"
The helmet came out great and i will be curious to see the helmet with its plume mounted on it
Do share this one with us james
Jonas

Yes there is a small patch of missing shellac on the shell, I debated whether to ask James if he wanted it filled and decided to leave it and not get into it. If you filled in this area, you would have to lightly sand the whole shell with 000 steel wool and then polish the shell with several coats of black boot polish. This would give the entire piece the same patina/colour. However, the missing area is a minor flaw on a helmet that dates from the 1880's which is in excellent condition. I did not want to mess with it any further. The liner alone is a perfect textbook example of the private purchase liner used from 1842-1888. It also came with it's original white horse hair trichter which needs some minor solder repairs. I have the trichter column and James has the Harrbusch, I am sure that once he has everything returned, he will post pics of Johan's helmet in parade mode.

The Haubenwhisperer: he did it again. Excellent job. Cannot wait to see the complete helmet.

It does look huge, you are right Mat but the size marking is 57 cm. If it was a "58" I could wear it :) . I think that the "hugeness" comes from the Dragoner design with that cruciform spike base which requires a large flat crown on the helmet shell. Thanks to all for their kind comments!

b.loree said:
It does look huge, you are right Mat but the size marking is 57 cm. If it was a "58" I could wear it :) . I think that the "hugeness" comes from the Dragoner design with that cruciform spike base which requires a large flat crown on the helmet shell. Thanks to all for their kind comments!

I never found a period Pickelhaube helmet I could wear, my motorcycle helmet size is 62/64...
Great restoring Brian, as always.

Here is the CDV that came with the helmet that is supposedly Mr. Weber...

Interesting the seller of the helmet at the SOS, stated he got the helmet, plume and CDV all together from a storage locker sale, who knows could be true.

Either way I am happy with the helmet and can hardly wait to get it back from Brian.

Interesting Mitre in the photo as well.

Best

James

The guy in the CDV is not a dragoon, but is a great photo. Maybe the locker belonged to a dealer or collector.

Brian you must be commended -the Dragoner helm looks super -still old, but looking sharp - for parade or patroul..
You performed just enough restoration- tending to the necessary and not overdoing it - by going too far ie. refinishing the leather - not a necessity here-- it is 100+ years old .
Now a fine piece for a collection . Great skill shown by your efforts...That is how I like helms for my collection----resurrected - when needed--Alte Helm Zimmer --Randolpho ----aicusv has sharp eyes --

it is a Grenadier (round visor) in the cdv - from Potsdam and with a mitre helm - 1st GRzF

Back