GdC Restoration Project

Ron,

I spoke to Cameron this morning and asked him about the mat. He has indicated that it is made of PVC, clad in some kind of slightly softer plastic. This provides just the right combination of resistance and cushioning required for the work that he has been doing. As is the case with so many things in the shop (like the mining tools depicted in the bodywork photos), He using the mat for a purpose other than that for which it was constructed. According to Cameron both Dritz and Fiskars make this kind of mat, and they're great--for all kinds of uses.

Regards

So it is time for another update with a series of shots depicting the rebuild of the chin scales. The insertion of the liner was actually done before this step, but I am still waiting on the pictures for this stage of the project. The liner instillation was actually the most difficult part of the restoration process - other than finding all the parts that is.

Ok so here is the sequence of the chin scale rebuild. As you will note Cameron has a very organised and detailed process that he follows when he rebuilds these things. I have actually tried to rebuild a set of my own in the past and made a right hash of it. So Cameron's efforts and processes have really put me to shame ` the difference between a not so gifted amateur and a tried and tested professional.
View attachment 4
Cameron lays out all the parts prior to the rebuild to ensure that it is done in a methodical and by the numbers process. The parts are numbered and sequenced to ensure that they are placed in the correct order: The parts shown include the restored scales, staples and trefoils; shellacked chipboard core; kipskin covering; buckle chape and billet.
View attachment 3
Mounting scales atop leather covering and through core, using original staples. Note the templated, pre-punched staple holes which makes mounting the scales easier and ultimately allows for the production of a 'neater' finished article. Scales bear individual numbers to ensure that they are added in the correct sequence.
View attachment 2
Setting and peening the staple atop chipboard core.
View attachment 1
Cover's first fold cemented in place.

Skiving edge of second fold.

I will add the remainder of the photos in the next reply.

OK the final couple of shots in the series.

View attachment 2
Pressing cemented fold in place.
View attachment 1
Burnishing entire reverse side, setting cement and smoothing inner surface.
Ok so these are what the finished article looked like - until my roving eye got into play. I had failed to indicate my preference on the set up of the chin scales. You will note in the photo that the backing is clearly visible when the scales are viewed front-on. I prefer the backing to be hidden as I feel it detracts from the view of the scales when mounted on the helmet - just me being a picky bastard. Cameron was very graceful and accommodating and started the whole process again (I am sure my name was cursed for a bit and I feel like a bit of a chump for not putting it out there sooner, but hey flexibility is a principal of warfare - at least that is what they used to teach us when I was in the Army).

So I am just waiting for the shots of the liner instillation and I am told that the helmet is actually compete and waiting the final studio shots. There has been some additional tweaking of the helmet plate and tetrafoil base to ensure that they both fit the shell a little better - the damage to the original eagle base was from a previous owner over tightening the retaining screw on the base of the eagle. This led to damage to not only the tetrafoil base but also to the top of the helmet. Cameron has removed the original screw - rethreaded it through the application of solder and then remounted it. Not an easy process, but one that will enable the eagle to be better secured to the shell.

All I know it has only been 24 hours but the liner photos have come through and I thought it best to share quickly. A few weeks ago when Cameron was working on the liner he wrote a really spiffy piece about its quality and how he believed that it was originally from a high quality pickelhaube. Like all interesting emails I put it aside and being the cluttered person that I can sometimes be I have somehow misplaced it. So with that said we will go on with the shots of the work conducted on the liner. This will probably take about three posts to get all the details down and photos uploaded.
View attachment 4
Officer's liner components, including: replacement band in two halves; woolen cushion; original sweatband; original moire lining.
View attachment 3
Assembled band (inverted); the pinked edge on one half of this 2-part assembly allows the band to conform to the shell's curvature. Note cutouts to conform to helmet's lower edge.
View attachment 2
The band's rear joint has been handsewn with vintage linen thread. The gap in the stitching allows the helmet's affixing brad to pass through the joint without severing the thread.
View attachment 1
The two layers of the band, showing pinked and plain edges. Note curvature--looking at the band's exterior - it slopes to fit the curving shape of the shell.

Hand-stitching original sweatband to helmet band's lower edge using century-old linen gimp.

Ok so in the next batch I will show the completed liner and it installed into the helmet shell.

View attachment 4View attachment 3
With sweatband stitched in place the cushion is affixed. A vintage feldgrau woollen band is tacked in place with running stitch of vintage silk thread.
View attachment 2
Cushion installation almost completed.
View attachment 1
The layers of the liner assembly, with sweatband in foreground, liner band at rear, and woolen cushion sandwiched between.

Liner installed in helmet. The next photo - in the next post - will show the liner completed in all its glory.

Ok so here is the final photo in the series. You will note that we have not been able to completely remove the stains of over 100 years of use from the moire lining. For me it adds to the authentic feel that I have been after throughout this restoration and is close as it is possible to get for a parts helmet. I also think it looks better than many of the reproduction moire linings that can be found on some of the restored helmets on the market.

The next series of shots will be the completed helmet as shown in Cameron's workshop before shipping back to its new home down-under. The next big hurdle is getting it back in one piece, but that will be another challenge in this marathon restoration.

Regards

Steve :greentank:

Hi all,

It has been a few weeks since my last post. In that time I have received a stack of photos of the completed helmet from Cameron and the helmet has made its way back to Australia from the states. I have been holding out on posting anymore photos or news until I could report successful delivery of the helmet. I had some dramas getting the item through Australian customs. While I love my country I have to wonder about the way we tax our citizens with customs trying to get me to pay tax on the total value of an item that already belongs to me. I ended up having to pay the Goods and Services Tax of 10% on the cost of restoration, which was better than paying 10% of the total value of the item. Several hundred dollars later I was actually breathing a sigh of relief.

The final hurdle came when the local post contractor abandoned the helmet on my front door step. I made a frantic dash home from work to ensure that the helmet remained in my possession rather than becoming the latest item in a local pawn shop.

OK so here goes. This will take a few posts to show a range of photos. Let me know if there are any details that you want to see more of and I will see what I can do.

View attachment 4

View attachment 3

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

Gorgeous! I've just acquired one that needs some dent removal and I'm considering sending it to these guys :thumb up:

OK here is the final set of photos with the helmet sitting on my bookcase at home. At some stage during the journey home one of the packages was opened and someone lay their big greasy mits all over the Tombak shell. As a result the shell was tarnished and in desperate need of a good polish. Fortunately I had a tube of Simichrome on hand - I knew all those years as an Army officer would come in handy! So a quick polish and here it is.

Helen has cracked down on my purchases after this. To compensate I have had to splash out on an engagement ring - don't worry gents she asked what I wanted as an engagement present... Wait for it! Another helmet..... Sadly not one quite as amazing as this one, but I can maybe squeeze a decent pickelhaube out of this life sentence.... (I am joking here) Of course this will also mean that my militaria will slowly retreat back into the study or the cupboard.

So apart from the helmet what did I get out of this exercise? Well first of all the friendship of Cameron. It was great to spend hours emailing him and discussing helmets, life and other what-not. I have recently left the military and am dealing with a few demons while also trying to settle into the real world, so Cameron's mentoring and wise words have really helped. This project has also helped to keep me interested in things outside of work and part time university study.

Sadly this project is over and I have a wedding to plan for. I am looking at working with Cameron to assemble a 1st Empire French Cuirassier Helmet and have tracked down an original shell and porte plumet, but still have a few parts to go. So if anyone knows of a Cimir, jugulaires and marmouset please let me know.

Regards

Steve

View attachment 2

View attachment 1

It would be interesting to know what a restoration like this would cost. Also, if you are looking for so many 1st Empire helmet parts to complete a helmet, how much helmet do you have?

Drewlarge,

How much did the restoration cost? Lets just say that it cost about as much as a good condition, but reasonably priced Prussian Infantry Pickelhaube - I'll leave that open to discussion.

Obviously costs will vary depending on the helmet and the work required to be conducted. You will note from the above posts that extensive work was required to be done on the helmet shell - visor trim, bent sides and also numerous dents and dings across the shell which had to be hammered and polished out, the eagle and tetrafoil base, the chin scales replated and the liner cleaned and remounted. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I also asked for a few extra embellishments which took additional time, attention and as a result money to complete - such as the three rounds of plating to get the eagle just right.

This restoration was certainly a lot cheaper than buying a complete helmet from some of the sites currently selling originals in Germany. Also this was just a fun thing for me to focus on, a worthwhile hobby. I would have paid double what I did. Helen on the other hand was not impressed..... The engagement ring jumped in size and cost once she found out what I had spent on this project!

As for the cuirassier helmet parts you will note that in my last post I stated that I currently only have the helmet shell and a porte plumet. I am approaching the next project exactly as I have done this one. Starting from scratch and buying original parts as I find them. Is this achievable? Maybe not, but worth the effort as a long term project. Then again a friend of mine said that this project would not be achievable, but it only took me about 10 - 12 months. Hey half the fun is tracking down the parts and the conversations along the way.

Steve

Steve, that's a stunning helmet.

As a fellow Aussie, I hope you managed to pay for most of this when the exchange rate was more favourable than it is now!

Bungo,

Thankfully yes. The drop in the dollar only affected the restoration costs, otherwise I think I made a killing buying all the parts when the dollar was worth more than the US dollar. Sadly the Aus is much reduced which is limiting my buying power - not to mention the recent crack down by Helen on my helmet purchases. Apparently a wedding is more important? Go figure? Surely the odd military antique or two is an investment in the future?!

Steve

not to mention the recent crack down by Helen on my helmet purchases. Apparently a wedding is more important? Go figure?

The cost of college and weddings!!! I have been there done that three times – we are now done bring on the fun times! Oh wait… We have this minor national debt problem. :-"

skelts1974 said:
Bungo,

Thankfully yes. The drop in the dollar only affected the restoration costs, otherwise I think I made a killing buying all the parts when the dollar was worth more than the US dollar. Sadly the Aus is much reduced which is limiting my buying power - not to mention the recent crack down by Helen on my helmet purchases. Apparently a wedding is more important? Go figure? Surely the odd military antique or two is an investment in the future?!

Steve

Heh heh, I hear you. I have a 11 month old, and have been rather successful lately in explaining my recent purchases to Mum as valuable additions to our daughter's future inheritance! :wink:

Bungo,

That is my current approach. 'Think of our children's future!' I say. Her reply to that is to ask me if I intend to sell my helmets and other militaria to pay for kids, schooling, university etc! Not bloody likely! What kid wouldn't like dad's cool military stuff? Besides who needs to pay for university when they are obviously going to join the army (Air Force and Navy will not be accepted!).

Steve :greentank:

Congratulations on an excellent restoration. Your postings and pictures were very informative. Thank you for all your efforts.

What kid wouldn't like dad's cool military stuff?

My three don't want it. I guess my son-in-law would like to have the money from selling them – daughter-in-law number two would probably just think it's got no place in her house. Daughter-in-law number one certainly doesn't have space in her house. The disposal of the stuff has actually made the will. But the kids… Not really an outlet.

Back