General's Helmet

I have two General a la Suite helmets and both have the 'variant' spike, as do others of this type if the photos we see here are any indication. One was made by Marke Garde Korps (spelling???) and one has no maker mark. However, I think they're both legitimate spikes. Might be an earlier, more difficult to manufacture (?) type, since the 'shorty' General's spike is the same.

In the end though, the one on ebay looks to be tampered with because of the solder on the 'top of the pedestal' (are there names for all of these parts?) and even seems to be replaced. Just my thoughts, but it would keep me from bidding on that specific helmet.

:D Ron

Also, on the 'variant', I didn't draw the top of the pedestal correctly, it should have a bit of a bead around the very top edge as shown clearly by 911car's helmet. Come to think of it, a bead like that would gather moisture and hence have to be cleaned more. Maybe that influenced the other type ... or not. :wink:

Spiker said:
As usual ; variations . :? :? :? different herstellers different types…
Karels general leaves no doubt ,a perfect fit. For the spike that does not cover the base one has to assume it is the spike that was delivered with the helmet by the hersteller.

however ,this is a great topic :bravo:

Ed, the perfectly fitting spike on Adler's example (beautiful helmet by the way) seems to be the exception more than the rule. There are multiple examples similar to the one I showed, on which the spike sits on a very slightly larger basis. Therefore I do not think we should just "assume" that these were the original spikes; they actually were. As for the very example I showed above, this helmet came from an estate in Oregon, was never in a collection before and it is extremely unlikely - if not impossible - that anything was ever changed on it (I still have a picture of its original as-found condition).
Take care,
Bruno

911car said:
Ed, the perfectly fitting spike on Adler's example (beautiful helmet by the way) seems to be the exception more than the rule. There are multiple examples similar to the one I showed, on which the spike sits on a very slightly larger basis. Therefore I do not think we should just "assume" that these were the original spikes; they actually were. As for the very example I showed above, this helmet came from an estate in Oregon, was never in a collection before and it is extremely unlikely - if not impossible - that anything was ever changed on it (I still have a picture of its original as-found condition).
Take care,
Bruno

Thanks for that clarification Bruno; I’ve learned a lot here.
Yes,you can be sure about your general ,and you have that background ,but for e-bay helmets ….

Even without background your helmet looks very similar in all the parts ,(shine and ware) ,great general! =P~
pity I can't see all of it.

There is a general's helmet on Weitz also with what I labeled the 'variant' spike. This would be interesting to pursue further. Maybe these are two styles or types of spikes, rather than true variants. It would be interesting to know if certain manufacturers favored one or the other.

Patina has also a general for sale :-k ,looks like what we call "variant", is the most common type.

http://www.militaria-blechspielzeug.de/site/helme.php?id=1391600252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spiker said:
Patina has also a general for sale :-k ,looks like what we call "variant", is the most common type.

http://www.militaria-blechspielzeug.de/site/helme.php?id=1391600252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, maybe call that type 1 or something... ?

I've always just referred to it as the Generals/Prussian style of fluted spike. Its the same style as used by the 1st GRzF as well...

Arran said:
I've always just referred to it as the Generals/Prussian style of fluted spike. Its the same style as used by the 1st GRzF as well...

That's a good idea, but we're dealing with two different types of spike 'bottoms' here... so yeah. I guess it REALLY doesn't matter.

Ed, I wonder if they (Patina) would let us post their photo of the bottom of the removed spike? :-k (f not, we can always draw it!)

Back