Guard Fusilier Regiment Private purchase Pickelhaube.

tony v

This little beauty turned up on E bay in the UK this week.

Weirdly I used to own it and regretted selling it so I'm fortunate it's come back round.

It has some interesting points to note. The eagle is high quality other ranks and fixed to the skull with the thread and bolt system plus the rear spine has the vent as per other ranks models which is unusual on private bought items. The helmet is of high quality and sports NCO cockades. There are no additional holes in the front making this is a private purchase helmet for a one year volunteer or NCO.

No unit markings as you would expect on a private purchase helmet leaving the options of a fusilier, pioneer or grenadier RGt 5.

cheers

Tony

fr1.jpgfr2.jpgfr3.jpgfr4.jpg

Congratulations Tony, a nice helmet :)

Weirdly I used to own it and regretted selling it so I'm fortunate it's come back round.

It has some interesting points to note. The eagle is high quality other ranks and fixed to the skull with the thread and bolt system plus the rear spine has the vent as per other ranks models which is unusual on private bought items. The helmet is of high quality and sports NCO cockades. There are no additional holes in the front making this is a private purchase helmet for a one year volunteer or NCO.

No unit markings as you would expect on a private purchase helmet leaving the options of a fusilier, pioneer or grenadier RGt 5.

cheers

Tony

View attachment 41442View attachment 41443View attachment 41444View attachment 41445
Hi Tony, I thought I recognised the buyer’s name! It’s acquired chin scales since you had it. Glad it’s gone (back) to a good home. Patrick

Tony that is absolutely beautiful and congratulations.

At one time I was stubborn and only collected issued helmets, but over the years came to love private purchase helmets. Your helmet here is a good example of why. Craftsmanship is always superb.

I can’t get at my references right now, but I thought that Fusilier and GR5 had brass M91 mounts, and only the pioneer used silver?

cheers

Tony

View attachment 41442View attachment 41443View attachment 41444View attachment 41445
Congratulations Tony! The beautiful coincidences of life... :)

ok to clarify because I'm kinda confused on the Knopf 91 issue. Are the chinstrap mounts supposed to be brass or silver on the fusilier helmet ?

My understanding was everything on other ranks was silver apart from chin scales which are brass. I checked the reference and this seems to be right but I may have the wrong end of the stick.

Help !

You´re right, Tony, GFR and GR5 had brass chinscales, but GPB and all prussian pioneers too.
Only the saxon LGR100, PB12 and PB22 had silver scales, as the Mecklenburg DR18.
Philippe
And what about 1. GRzF, IR 115, k.b. ILR, k.b. SRR 1, k.b. Chev. 2., 4., 6. & 8, k.b. UR 2 and k.v. pioneers?

Best wishes

GardeUlan

And what about 1. GRzF, IR 115, k.b. ILR, k.b. SRR 1, k.b. Chev. 2., 4., 6. & 8, k.b. UR 2 and k.v. pioneers?

Best wishes

GardeUlan
This has to be verified...
I would say 1: GRzF, no (JL Larcade, page 11, Tome I),
LGR 115: yes,
KB ILR not so sure
SRR1, KB Chevauleger 2,4,6,8 : yes
KB UR 2: I would say yes
KB PBs: yes
DR23, 24: yes
UR 21: yes

Philippe

This has to be verified...
I would say 1: GRzF, no (JL Larcade, page 11, Tome I),
LGR 115: yes,
KB ILR not so sure
SRR1, KB Chevauleger 2,4,6,8 : yes
KB UR 2: I would say yes
KB PBs: yes
DR23, 24: yes
UR 21: yes

Philippe
1 GRzF was the only Prussian regiment entitled to silver chinstraps. I think since 1888.

GardeUlan

Back