Guards du Corps helmet from Bay State Militaria

For what it is worth I really like it and think it looks great. I know many of us on here are very concerned with everything being perfect but you just never know what happens with these helmets - especially during wartime. Perhaps some parts were changed back when it was being used? Yes they might have been changed after the war but at least they are all originals parts and as I said it looks great!

Just my zwei pfennig.

By the way - my wife and I love travelling to Europe (especially Germany) and we normally go every December to visit the Christmas Markets. COVID is really ruining this for us. We are still holding out some hope we might be able to go over this December.

Cheers.

Peter

I too second what pebceb has said.
I’ve removed rust, polished brass and depending on the helmet replaced liners all to the shock & horror of others. But I’ve bought some stunning helmets over the years and some were incomplete, it’s not meant to deceive anyone but rather to what I like. Not many of the third reich helmets (& similar) are today what they were when the war finished, they are if they go through my hands as it’s also my profession as a conservator…..and a duty almost.
In the steel helmet world removing surface rust from a camouflaged helmet is akin to murder……that would make me a serial killer.

Just my two cents.

All valid comments.

The point I was trying to make, is that if you spend that much money, you should be getting what you paid for.

If the helmet has been altered or repaired etc. the seller should describe that. There should be no surprises. Surprises are for birthdays and Christmas.

However, as Peter said, if you are not disappointed, and are happy with it, that’s all that really matters.

Andreas doesn't have perfect things in this world. At least you know what's wrong. If you like it, leave it for yourself, unless you are in better condition for the price. Regards.
Wojtek

Well he did that to me too when I requested a return of three helmets. He relisted 4 so I return 4 and he was jumping mad and claim that there was damage and deducted 200 from one helmet which I paid 500 for. After that he relisted the damages helmet at 400 instead of 300.

Well he did that to me too when I requested a return of three helmets. He relisted 4 so I return 4 and he was jumping mad and claim that there was damage and deducted 200 from one helmet which I paid 500 for. After that he relisted the damages helmet at 400 instead of

Thanks to all of you for the lastest comments. I think knowing that I can return it, if I wanted to, makes me feel better about keeping it. Even with the flaws I still love the helmet and I don’t think that will ever change. I will look to replace the parts one day but if not then that’s fine too, i guess. I talked to my friend at Weitze and he said that though it reduces the value it is still a very collectible piece. I am so happy that I have joined this group of Pickelhaubenfanatikern and look forward sharing my growing collection and seeing so many other awesome helmets. Andreas

Thanks to all of you for the lastest comments. I think knowing that I can return it, if I wanted to, makes me feel better about keeping it. Even with the flaws I still love the helmet and I don’t think that will ever change. I will look to replace the parts one day but if not then that’s fine too, i guess. I talked to my friend at Weitze and he said that though it reduces the value it is still a very collectible piece. I am so happy that I have joined this group of Pickelhaubenfanatikern and look forward sharing my growing collection and seeing so many other awesome helmets. Andreas
I might even stop at weitze and check out their store!

Absolutely. I have bought from Helmut Weitze many times. Make sure you register which is free which allows you to enlarge the photos and removes the big dots over the scary Totenkopf etc. which is German law.

Please do be aware, that it would be easier to find a unicorn than a Tombak Kürassier chinscale. However, I have a feeling a lot of us will now be looking for one for you.

Absolutely. I have bought from Helmut Weitze many times. Make sure you register which is free which allows you to enlarge the photos and removes the big dots over the scary Totenkopf etc. which is German law.

Please do be aware, that it would be easier to find a unicorn than a Tombak Kürassier chinscale. However, I have a feeling a lot of us will now be looking for one for you.
As with everything, you have to keep your eyes open, even at Helmut Weitze. A year ago I bought a Wehrmacht cavalry cap from him, which turned out to be a copy from the 1970s.Best regards
Wojtek

Attachments

• DSC08777.JPG
    DSC08777.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC08779.JPG
    DSC08779.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC08778.JPG
    DSC08778.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC08784.JPG
    DSC08784.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC08781.JPG
    DSC08781.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 1
If u like the helmet, keep it. You never know what other fee may come up when you return the helmet.

I think it's kind of funny that he still has my money and is putting the helmet up for sale again. It could get lost in the mail, or damaged or I may never send it. Anyhow, to be honest I am still struggling with the decision. I think I will drink some good German beer and eat some good German food while I am visiting my Mom and decide what to do. :)
Could I suggest a very large bottle of Warsteiner at just the right temperature, a huge amount of roast pork, mash potato and sauerkrauft

Back