help to identify this Pickelhaube for officer from Hesse-Darmstadt

Micky K

Good Night! is a really pleasure to investigate in this great forum about Pickelhaube i am a new member from Argentina.

In this case i want some information about this Officer Pickelhaube from Hesse-Darmstadt, i see missing parts and i like help for get some information about the missing part of this helmet for his restoration (for Example i see the missing kokardes but i dont Identify the studs and stars So i upload the pictures.

many thanks ! and best regards! every help is welcome!

f6789175-0596-4d6e-97eb-1c58fd4ba75a.jpg7714a30c-885d-45ab-bdd8-1991cd217284.jpgbc777db9-8230-40ce-b533-c71a92181a2e.jpgdbbb5605-cf5c-45da-b930-a0385fdfac09.jpga8d60221-fa49-485a-9d82-f796f6b01b42.jpgc76abd2c-c5ef-411a-bdf8-db6c5b5f741a.jpg9e456573-edbe-42c3-a08f-05d404c90e66.jpgf456384d-5f35-43a1-abe6-2fad8dba6868.jpg2f192d76-b320-4178-9f41-18ea1049c79d.jpg

Welcome to the forum Mickey, great to have you with us! First, your Hessen helmet is not an officer helmet, it is an ordinary soldier’s pickelhaube. The helmet plate is not Officer and the chin scales do not belong on it. The helmet has one original model 1891 side post but someone has drilled through it and put a screw in, to hold the chin scale on. This is not correct. On the other side, the original post is missing and has been replaced with an officer style scale. The liner is not Officer but again proper for an ordinary soldier’s helmet. There were never any stars on this helmet, Hessen officer helmets do not have stars. It looks to me like you have one original split pin holding the spike base on, the other ones are not correct. So, to make this helmet correct, you need 2 brass M91 side posts, 2 kokarden, a leather chin strap and 3 brass spike base pins. Otherwise, it looks good 👍 I will post photos of my Hessen tomorrow so that you can see what I mean. Photos are easy to understand.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Mickey, great to have you with us! First, your Hessen helmet is not an officer helmet, it is an ordinary soldier’s pickelhaube. The helmet plate is not Officer and the chin scales do not belong on it. The helmet has one original model 1891 side post but someone has drilled through it and put a screw in, to hold the chin scale on. This is not correct. On the other side, the original post is missing and has been replaced with an officer style scale. The liner is not Officer but again proper for an ordinary soldier’s helmet. There were never any stars on this helmet, Hessen officer helmets do not have stars. It looks to me like you have one original split pin holding the spike base on, the other ones are not correct. So, to make this helmet correct, you need 2 brass M91 side posts, 2 kokarden, a leather chin strap and 3 brass spike base pins. Otherwise, it looks good 👍 I will post photos of my Hessen tomorrow so that you can see what I mean. Photos are easy to understand.
thanks a lot for your help!, so the chinstrap in this Helmet is not the original and need the correct chinstrap of leather and the 3 brass skipe base pins and the two correct kokarden, this is a 1891 model for NCO and Soldier?

Hello Micky and welcome to the Forum. I think you got the answers, so I wish you all the best for your restoration project. Hope you will share the result :)

Thanks a lot for the help, and sure when I finish the restoration project I will share the correct helmet here. Thanks again for the information!

Thanks for posting your photos Philippe. Yes Micky, the helmet is for an NCO or soldier. It would be a model 1895. The chin strap side posts were introduced in 1891.

Just a reminder....we do have an extensive thread on Hessen helmets in the pickelhaube discussion area. Beautiful example Bruno!

Thank you all for the help! Can you recommend a good dealer in ebay to purchase these missing items for the Pickelhaube?

Hello to All! today I finish the restoration, I let the link here!

Back