Hi from Australia

Bungo,

Sorry no idea about links. Have had a quick look, but no luck. I found it by chance years ago while working for a surveying company. We were based in the town and had an afternoon off. From memory it was a community or local council run museum which from the outside looks like a collection of old farm and rail buildings and a smattering of farming machinery.

Don't be fooled. Two of the buildings hold some of the best loot stollen by australian soldiers from the Great War, WW2 and Vietnam. Spent hours there and ended up visiting three or four times.

Have never had the chance to go back what with the army and my new career getting in the way.

Steve

In March 2009 Missus Boss and were on a Battlefield Tour at the Somme.
We went to Villers-Bretonneux. From the local Museum.

fcifdi.jpg

dzf048.jpg

312b811.jpg

23tie52.jpg

2w35mc9.jpg

Francis

Very cool....do we have any information on who commanded this beast and the crew? How did the Aussies get their hands on it? Where are the bits and pieces of the Red Baron's crash that were souvenired ?

b.loree said:
Very cool....do we have any information on who commanded this beast and the crew? How did the Aussies get their hands on it? Where are the bits and pieces of the Red Baron's crash that were souvenired ?

Apparently the crew died after it fell into a ditch and was knocked out by artillery. When I saw it, you could still see the damage to the top grilles where it had been hit.

It was captured by Australian infantry, who physically dragged it back to their trenches so the Germans couldn't recover it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mephisto_(tank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Re: Red Baron - I've never heard of any pieces being on display here in Australia. Perhaps some family has pieces sitting in an attic somewhere - wouldn't that be something to find?

Cheers,

Bungo

We're making another try at it! This time 21 October 2015. I have to write the curator of the Museum this morning. South to Australia! If you are serious about a beer in Melbourne how about 18 November 2015?

joerookery said:
We're making another try at it! This time 21 October 2015. I have to write the curator of the Museum this morning. South to Australia! If you are serious about a beer in Melbourne how about 18 November 2015?

Joe, I would be honoured! Most definitely. See you in November! :D

Does anyone live in Brisbane? We are looking for a ride from the boat dock to Ipswich. Does anyone that makes sense?

Hi to everyone

Im from Australia and converted when I heard about Medjugorje from my Catholic sponsor. Theres a lot to read and Ill just post messages as I go along.

God bless
Karen Australia

Back