Hussar Busby M15

Wonderful. All of those uniforms are wonder.

Question- what are the snaps for on the collar of one of those uniforms?
Charles
I don't know
Rene Lee had quite a flair for uniforms
there was a joke that when he traveled by train
he needed another railroad car for his uniforms
in one of his photos he is wearing a British medal
and I don't know why ?
I attached 2 more photos of Rene Lee
one is where he was in the White House behind President FDRRene Lee  U C V General.jpegRene Lee with Pres FDR.JPG
Steve

Reactions: ccj
Wonderful. I searched throughout my childhood for Confederate CW items. Never even found a button. Rare as rocking-horse poo…

I suspect the snaps are to attach a collar tab showing General Officer rank to the uniform. The three direct embroidered stars show him at the rank of Colonel so it would be cheaper to have his higher rank indicated by a removable collar tab rather than having a new collar installed. I have seen this "snaps" method utilized on white summer uniforms. Rank is also indicated by button grouping and by the galleons shown on the sleeve. Bear in mind that General Lee wore the three stars on his buff color collar indicating Colonel rank during the war.

George

Attachments

• UCV Gen collar.JPG
    UCV Gen collar.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 6
  • UCV Gen cuff.JPG
    UCV Gen cuff.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
  • UCV General uniform.JPG
    UCV General uniform.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 6
I suspect the snaps are to attach a collar tab showing General Officer rank to the uniform. The three direct embroidered stars show him at the rank of Colonel so it would be cheaper to have his higher rank indicated by a removable collar tab rather than having a new collar installed. I have seen this "snaps" method utilized on white summer uniforms. Rank is also indicated by button grouping and by the galleons shown on the sleeve. Bear in mind that General Lee wore the three stars on his buff color collar indicating Colonel rank during the war.

George
Excellent UCV uniform
Steve

Back