Identification of two spikes

USMC-EOD

Hello,

I was digging through my parts box and came across a couple of spare spikes I picked up years ago. I figured I would ask the forum to help me properly identify them.

I think the one in brass might be a Saxon officer spike? Perhaps for a General Officer? Not sure.

The silver one missing the threaded screw looks like it is for a Bavarian officer's helmet. Chevalier?

Also, these are both surplus to my needs, but I am on the lookout for a tall Prussian officer spike and base, or a standard Bavarian officer spike in brass if anybody is interested in a trade.

Bryan.

Attachments

• 20230108_131642.jpg
    20230108_131642.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230108_131714.jpg
    20230108_131714.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 20
From the brass it looks like Bayerisches Feldartillerie for mannschaften.

Attachments

• DSC05727.JPG
    DSC05727.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • DSC05728.JPG
    DSC05728.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
In the photo below, the spike that I am asking about whether or not it is a Saxon senior officer spike is on the right.

A Bavarian officer spike sits in the middle.

An enlisted Bavarian Chevalier spike sits on the left. I compared this silver Chevalier spike with one of my brass Bavarian Artillery Enlisted spikes and they are identical.

The base on my unknown (Saxon???) spike is different than on the two Bavarian spikes shown. It does not have an extra "step" on the bottom of the spike like the Bavarian spikes have. The "step" on the Bavarian spikes wrap over the top of the base.

This unknown spike I have seems to have curled edges that make it "sit" on top of the base.

Attachments

• 20230108_155851.jpg
    20230108_155851.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Here is a photo to show what I mean.

This picture has a Bavarian officer helmet with it's spike. The lower second "step" at the bottom of the spike "wraps" over the top of the base.

Attachments

• 20230108_155712.jpg
    20230108_155712.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
In this second picture, I have put the unknown spike onto the base of the same Bavarian officer's helmet.

This spike only has one "step" that is slightly curved over and appears to be designed to sit on top of the base rather than wrap over it.

When I saw it, I was reminded of the way that Saxon General officer helmets have spikes that do this. I thought it might be one of those, and Saxon G.O. spikes look a lot like Bavarian officer spikes to my eye.

Bryan.

Attachments

• 20230108_155740.jpg
    20230108_155740.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Here also is a picture of a Bavarian Enlisted Artillery spike on a helmet next to the spike I am trying to identify.

It does not have a lower step like the Enlisted spike.

Attachments

• 20230108_155620.jpg
    20230108_155620.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
I am going to have to learn to be more observant. I have owned one Prussian G Off. but I have worked on another 3, they all had this type of spike that fits flush on top of the spike neck. There is no lip as on the Bavarian which extends over the neck. Consequently, I agree with James on this.

So, it is a Prussian General officer spike?

I was not sure, and assumed it might be Saxon, but I will look at some Prussian examples as well.

Thanks for the tip James and Brian.

James, do you have an example of a Prussian General officer spike you could show?

ok the spike on the left is from a Bavarian Generals helmet, pretty much the same as you see on regular Bavarian officers.

the one on the right is from a Prussian Generals, lacks the lip on the bottom.

James

Thank you James.

Your Prussian looks very close to mine, except that it looks like it has an extra groove/false step on the base..

Do you have a photo of a Saxon G.O. by any chance?

I Googled it and came up with a few photos that look pretty spot-on.

Perhaps one of the members has a photo of the spike on a Saxon General Officer's helmet they could post.

Seriously, James; I am grateful for your effort on my behalf. You are a good man.

Bryan.

Last edited:
Back