Imperial German Overcoat

Thanks Chip,
I hope the knee gets better slowly, so you can spend more time here:) I have a knee that needs replaced too, but with the new health care in the US, the best I can afford is to have the leg taken off:)
Best
Gus

I still could use some help on what - if any - shoulder boards would be appropriate to this great coat.

Look at the inside of the shoulder area, if it had buttons for shoulderboards, there could be remnants of thread where the buttons were sewn on, I have one that had loops for shoulder boards and they had been removed and sewn on boards were there at one point (evident by the stitching on the top of the sleeve to shoulder of the Mantel) This Mantel is appropriat to be displayed with out shoulderboards.
Best
Gsu

Gus - thanks. I'll get my gas mask on and open up the hanging bag full of moth balls to investigate whether any thread remnants exist.

At some point, I need to take it out of the moth ball bag hanging in the garage attic and air it out. She Who Must says "not in the house" but I am afraid to air it in the garage attic due to moths!

You need to move to a more nothern climate where moths are not a problem, it is going to be -15°F in a couple of nights here.

This is what it looked like out the front window this morning, and that was before it got bad.
snownov2010005.jpg

we are having a ground blizzard and there is very little to see out the window, time for a cup of tea and a cookie, no moths alive here.

Yeah, but we have a bird in the house, it is getting close to zero here, and a bird was tapping on a window, so I opened it and it flew in and landed on Maggies ear, so we have a finch sleeping in a box on the table.
I haoe Joe does not get too cold, I understand that Janet has turned on the A/C

God made air conditioning for a reason. as for the bird don't you remember the song from the Carpenters? “Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?” It is about Maggie–not you–good thing you have her to keep you warm.

Janet and I are trying out our brand-new TV–the old one died and we should be Skype capable on the TV soon–in our wonderful weather! How is it farming in the tundra?

Farming is not so good, due to global warming, it has been one of the coldest summers on record, and the winter looks like it will be a cold one too.

OK Mr. Buzzkill, let's get this back on topic, send me your Mantel so I can free it from the moth danger.
Best
Gus

I attempted to join the fieldgrau site last eve that was listed above, I have a closet fairly comlete of uniforms to set helmets on so I had interest since I think you can never have enough knowledge, gave all my info, name location etc, made a screen name password and got an email to wait for a validation maybe 24 hours etc. So today I got a validation, banned for life....reason not given, lol Did I do something in a past life? Anyone else have this problem with these fellers?

Hey Alan,
You must have really been evil, because they let me on, and I am evil in this life:)
Best
Gus

Using an online translator thats been set up to NOT get across your exact translation but get you into trouble, Such as " please pass the bread" and its gets translated " I want to fondle your buns" lol I can Sprechin ( badly) maybe 3 of every 10 german words, I Polivue none in French, and Belgien with that mix between the two, well Im lost. I always say things happen for the best reasons. At least everyone here is gentleman enough to insult you in front of everyone else and to your face, lol, Just joking in case anyone thought Im ever serious.

Nope, the snow is melting now, I started it and moved it so I could plow the driveway, it was 11 degrees at the time, it started fine, the crawler that I had to start with a hand crank started fine, but when I went to start Maggie's car (2000 Yucon, the newest vehicle we own) it did not want to fire. It is funny how a worn out antique engine with a gummed up carb will run better than a computer controled modern machine.
Best
Gus
PS it is a sweltering 32 degrees here now

Back