In Treue Fest

Lost Skeleton

This pristine and unaltered Bavarian Depaheg Vulkanfiber was a recent eBay acquisition purchased from forum member SSnick.

When Tony previewed the photos, he was quick to point out something peculiar and inexplicable. Let's see who else can identify what Tony spotted.

P1011515.jpg

P1011516.jpg

P1011517.jpg

P1011535.jpg

P1011510.jpg

P1011506.jpg

P1011509.jpg

P1011505.jpg

Chas

Should it not have a large front plate anyway (which would also hide the mentioned rivet)? The condition is simply astonishing.

Joe Semen said:
Did he give a explaination why the brass rivet on the front of the spike base?

Joe, Bryan, you will find that small brad on the 'short arm' on almost all private-purchase Pickelhauben with a crucifom spike base, as typically the Wappen crown lays right there. T

If this is a full on officer helme then why do we see that only the large crown on the wappen is voided. Should not all crowns be voided?? On this piece, the smaller crowns are solid as would be proper for an OR wappen. The front plate is the smaller post 1900 version found on these helmets. The button on the short arm of the cruciform spike base is also larger than normal and more rounded. Brian

Robert and Jerry (as well as Tony) are correct; the Bavarian Wappen is the the post 1896 Mannschafts pattern, albeit a private purchase example. This is how things look from the inside:

P1011520.jpg

As for the domed split brad anchoring the Kreuzblattbasis, it is correct and entirely consistent with those found on Bavarian officer helmets manufactured by Depaheg. Click HERE for a comparative look at a Bavarian General's helmet also made by Depaheg.

Like Brian, I also thought the crowns adorning the Wappen lions were voided on all officer helmets, but I have seen too many legitimate examples contradicting this theory. A close-up of Leo Recht:

P1011511.jpg

Case solved? Not quite.

There's something else, and it is very curious. Keep looking. :-k

Chas

First of all, it's a top shelf minty haube you have there! =D>
The only thing I can come up with is that the diamonds in the centre of the reserve cross are pointing the wrong way. Normally they point down to the right and in this case they point up to the right...

Adler

Bravo, Adler!

Proportionately, the Wappen appears to be post 1896 Mannschafts. However, it is actually slightly larger and mercury gilt. Virtually, all Bavarian other ranks Wappen display a finish that can be described as gilt leaf. Additionally, the lions have a differently shaped head (more bear like).

It is when I made this composite photo of the Depaheg Wappen and another private purchase plate that I first noticed the Lozengy being reversed:

zierat.jpg

I have performed countless searches for Depaheg on the web and found nothing regarding the firm itself. Many collectors feel Depaheg represents the lower end of private purchase quality, but it seems unbelievably careless for a silver reserve cross to fabricated as a mirror image of what it should be. Yet, this helmet is 100% original.

Are there any other backwards reserve crosses out there? :study:

Chas

On a Line-Wappen (one-piece stamped) this would be very odd, but in this case, its only because the cross has been attached up-side down yes?

Don't think so Tony, because when you turn the cross upside down, the rounded corners of the shield will be on top, the diamonds will still point in the same direction and the shield will not fit anymore...

Adler

Darn I completely missed the diamonds. The man who made the pressing die had to think in reverse and completely messed up. Now THAT is really a one-of-kind helmet I guess!

I reckon somebody - a toolmaker for these things - screwed-up royal during a friday afternoon post piss-up clock-watching session, got fired for it on the monday and this one somehow got out. It's probably unique.

Stunning helmet, Chas! they always are. In fact, we should call you 'Stunning Helmet Chas'. :D

Minnesota Slim said:
All 10 of my Bavarian officer helmets…
Good Lord! Ten? How many Bavarian other ranks helmets do you have, James?

It's time for a new thread on Bavarian helmets.

Chas

Sorry guy's been on the road, I will no longer quantify my helmets, as far as how many OR Bavarians I have????? :D

Back