Is this a real Braunschweig IR92 helmet?

coert65

I saw this at an auction site, but is it real?
As most people, I do not like this auction house.

Greetings, Coert.

I saw this at an auction site, but is it real?
As most people, I do not like this auction house.

Greetings, Coert.
Coert, this helmet looks great on the catalogue of this auction house, and hence it should remain there...

This seller has often offered very questionable pieces on Catawiki and second-hand
I know Sander, the RBA18 stamp made me wonder if it was real, it isn't.
But I had to be sure, so I asked.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions about this helmet! (y)

Thank you very much for providing more information on why someone should go the other way when seeing Pickelhaube so marked.

Hello,

However, I would like to have a look at the back of the Wappen. It seems to maybe be good at this distance, without to have it in my hands.

Here is mine, a very clean and perfect one. Never had a chance to find a perfect helmet of this scarce unit, so I nevertheless had the luck to find for a few months this beautiful Apotheker Kopf from an old german household.

Most of encountered Wappen with the crane are fake...(n) This one is 100 original and untouched.
Appreciate the details!

Philippe
;)

TK.JPGTK1.JPGTK2.JPGTK3.JPGTK4.JPGTK8.JPGTK10.JPGTK11.JPGTK15.JPGTK16.JPG

Thank you Philippe for posting all of these great photos. We often see fakes being sold as originals and this detailed post will help collectors from being fooled. You have given us an excellent reference. 👍

Last edited:
// Here is mine, a very clean and perfect one. Never had a chance to find a perfect helmet of this scarce unit, so I nevertheless had the luck to find for a few months this beautiful Apotheker Kopf from an old german household.

Most of encountered Wappen with the crane are fake...(n) This one is 100 original and untouched.
Appreciate the details! //

Congratulations Philippe! One quick look at the shape of the letters and the pebbling is all it takes. That is a superb example and impossible to find, as any originals are placed onto any helmet, supposedly to increase the value. Usually by an Italian living in Frankfurt.

Ironically, that is how I found my IR92 Totenkopf Wappen. I had to buy a made-up helmet and when it arrived I removed the Wappen and got rid of the helmet.

May I ask what you mean by "Wappen with the crane"? Do you mean the running horse Wappen worn by I and II battalions?

Last edited:
Congratulations Philippe! One quick look at the shape of the letters and the pebbling is all it takes. That is a superb example and impossible to find, as any originals are placed onto any helmet, supposedly to increase the value. Usually by an Italian living in Frankfurt.

Ironically, that is how I found my IR92 Totenkopf Wappen. I had to buy a made-up helmet and when it arrived I removed the Wappen and got rid of the helmet.

May I ask what you mean by "Wappen with the crane"? Do you mean the running horse Wappen worn by I and II battalions?
Tony, Philippe means "Wappen with the skull".

That is sad, as my French is passable when I need it to be, but it did not enter my little brain that "crane" was le crâne.

Enfin je comprends.

I know I have seen your IR92 helmet here Bruno, and I believe Steve (KAGGR#1) has posted his helmet (s) as well. Now Philippe's has this superb Wappen, I have one, and I know of a few in Europe. Certainly there are other originals of course, but I think we can all agree that almost all issued Totenkopf Wappen which come up for sale are replicas.

Philippe may I suggest we separate your Wappen posting from the auction helmet posting? The new Forum platform is unfamiliar to me but I can figure out how to do that.

Last edited:
Hello,

However, I would like to have a look at the back of the Wappen. It seems to maybe be good at this distance, without to have it in my hands.

Here is mine, a very clean and perfect one. Never had a chance to find a perfect helmet of this scarce unit, so I nevertheless had the luck to find for a few months this beautiful Apotheker Kopf from an old german household.

Appreciate the details!

Philippe
;)

View attachment 15467View attachment 15468View attachment 15469View attachment 15470View attachment 15471View attachment 15472View attachment 15473View attachment 15474View attachment 15475View attachment 15476

Hello,

Appreciate the details!

Philippe
;)

View attachment 15467View attachment 15468View attachment 15469View attachment 15470View attachment 15471View attachment 15472View attachment 15473View attachment 15474View attachment 15475View attachment 15476
Philippe could I use your photos for educational purposes on MyViMu.com.?

That is sad, as my French is passable when I need it to be, but it did not enter my little brain that "crane" was le crâne.

Enfin je comprends.

I know I have seen your IR92 helmet here Bruno, and I believe Steve (KAGGR#1) has posted his helmet (s) as well. Now Philippe's has this superb Wappen, I have one, and I know of a few in Europe. Certainly there are other originals of course, but I think we can all agree that almost all issued Totenkopf Wappen which come up for sale are replicas.

Philippe may I suggest we separate your Wappen posting from the auction helmet posting? The new Forum platform is unfamiliar to me but I can figure out how to do that.

Tony, here is an actual "Wappen with the crane(s)"...

L1010134.jpg

Thank you one and all for the education on details of original wappen of the IR 92 and additional information about IR 96 wappen Crains.
Best regards
John

So did he mean I R 96 ?
Steve

No, Steve, Philippe meant 92R, but to describe the plate he used the French word "crane", which means "skull". Then I thought it should be fun to show the only plate - as far as I know - with actual cranes (the birds) on it...
Is it clearer?

Yes some of the comments had me scratching my “cranium” but I think I understand clearly now. 😊

Back