John Mann, United States Marine Corps - 10 June 2023

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
It is my profoundly sad privilege to announce that my friend John Mann, United States Marine Corps, was called back to duty on 10 June 2023 at only age 68.

John was first and foremost a US Marine. Initially, after becoming an infantry officer (which all Marine officers must do) he was sent to Artillery School and was a Field Artillery Officer for ten years, after which his MOS was changed to Motor Transport Officer. John had five separate company commands as a Motor T officer. John and his wife Laurie lived in Japan for three memorable years as he was on Sea Duty.

As a US Marine, he was on Active Duty in several countries around the world, having been three time around the globe. He said that none of them were vacation spots, and most were places that people try to avoid. John transitioned from Active Duty in 1993 as a Captain to IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) due to a medical issue attributed to the first Gulf War. John’s mechanical education resulted in his becoming a Senior Technical Instructor for Chrysler. He taught dealership technicians how to fix or rebuild diesel systems, hybrid vehicles, communication systems and subsystems, etc.

John told me that he had collected in this fascinating area of Imperial German for so many years, that these objects felt like family. Laurie, John’s wife of 44 years, was very patient with his collecting, admitting that she knew nothing about this hobby. However, that worked two ways; she collects antique English strainers and John admitted that although they were attractive and interesting, he didn’t have a clue.

John under his Forum name ‘SkipperJohn’ greatly enjoyed this great Forum. John and I would discuss endlessly the agonizingly detailed minutiae of Imperial helmets, as we both shared an interest in the older 1842-1871 helmets. We also shared a line of thought that comes with being a soldier; that most issued helmets are not 'pure and untouched' and reality does not always reflect what people 'want' in a 100-150 year old helmet. We agreed that most issued helmets with a long service life, have been taken apart at a Kammer (Quartermaster), broken parts replaced, repairs made, and upgraded as required. Then add on a century of interference. John and I did not agonize over a replaced part, we discussed in fascination how issued helmets as Kammer property, were re-worked and re-fitted from beginning to end, over and over.

John once told me, that his wife Laurie claimed that he was so cheap, that he would squeak when he walked. However, he was always able to justify the cost of a helmet acquisition if he really wanted it. This sounds like the tap-dance that many of us have done.

An interesting anecdote he told me once; John was looking at Ebay one day to see if he could replace an old coffee cup that had been broken. John served as a 'B' billett Combat Cargo Officer on board the USS St. Louis LKA-116 for three years. He was a Seagoing Marine and belonged to the ship's company responsible for embarkation of Marines and equipment for rapid forward deployment. He wanted to replace his broken USS St Louis cup, and after a quick search, there it was on eBay. The exact cup, bought and delivered, and filled with coffee once again.

Laurie, John’s wife of 44 years, is grieving the loss of this good man, and the family is requesting privacy in their grief. Laurie will be able to read any comments left here.

Below is US Marine John Mann, a photograph he said was taken a lifetime ago.

Below that, is one of the photographs that we would share to toast each other’s health, and the privilege of our friendship. Always a beverage with a helmet, a habit that I use often on our Forum. So allow me one last toast to my friend.

Semper Fi Marine. It has been an honour and a privilege. You will be remembered John.

0BAB51C2-0475-4E63-BA36-17BA4B61403A.jpeg

D891D652-7C41-43D4-AB8D-B0F802351A3F.jpeg

Last edited:
It is my profoundly sad privilege to announce that my friend John Mann, United States Marine Corps, was called back to duty on 10 June 2023 at only age 68.

John was first and foremost a US Marine. Initially, after becoming an infantry officer (which all Marine officers must do) he was sent to Artillery School and was a Field Artillery Officer for ten years, after which his MOS was changed to Motor Transport Officer. John had five separate company commands as a Motor T officer. John and his wife Laurie lived in Japan for three memorable years as he was on Sea Duty.

As a US Marine, he was on Active Duty in several countries around the world, having been three time around the globe. He said that none of them were vacation spots, and most were places that people try to avoid. John transitioned from Active Duty in 1993 as a Captain to IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) due to a medical issue attributed to the first Gulf War. John’s mechanical education resulted in his becoming a Senior Technical Instructor for Chrysler. He taught dealership technicians how to fix or rebuild diesel systems, hybrid vehicles, communication systems and subsystems, etc.

John told me that he had collected in this fascinating area of Imperial German for so many years, that these objects felt like family. Laurie, John’s wife of 44 years, was very patient with his collecting, admitting that she knew nothing about this hobby. However, that worked two ways; she collects antique English strainers and John admitted that although they were attractive and interesting, he didn’t have a clue.

John under his Forum name ‘SkipperJohn’ greatly enjoyed this great Forum. John and I would discuss endlessly the agonizingly detailed minutiae of Imperial helmets, as we both shared an interest in the older 1842-1871 helmets. We also shared a line of thought that comes with being a soldier; that most issued helmets are not 'pure and untouched' and reality does not always reflect what people 'want' in a 100-150 year old helmet. We agreed that most issued helmets with a long service life, have been taken apart at a Kammer (Quartermaster), broken parts replaced, repairs made, and upgraded as required. Then add on a century of interference. John and I did not agonize over a replaced part, we discussed in fascination how issued helmets as Kammer property, were re-worked and re-fitted from beginning to end, over and over.

John once told me, that his wife Laurie claimed that he was so cheap, that he would squeak when he walked. However, he was always able to justify the cost of a helmet acquisition if he really wanted it. This sounds like the tap-dance that many of us have done.

An interesting anecdote he told me once; John was looking at Ebay one day to see if he could replace an old coffee cup that had been broken. John served as a 'B' billett Combat Cargo Officer on board the USS St. Louis LKA-116 for three years. He was a Seagoing Marine and belonged to the ship's company responsible for embarkation of Marines and equipment for rapid forward deployment. He wanted to replace his broken USS St Louis cup, and after a quick search, there it was on eBay. The exact cup, bought and delivered, and filled with coffee once again.

Laurie, John’s wife of 44 years, is grieving the loss of this good man, and the family is requesting privacy in their grief. Laurie will be able to read any comments left here.

Below is US Marine John Mann, a photograph he said was taken a lifetime ago.

Below that, is one of the photographs that we would share to toast each other’s health, and the privilege of our friendship. Always a beverage with a helmet, a habit that I use often on our Forum. So allow me one last toast to my friend.

Semper Fi Marine. It has been an honour and a privilege. You will be remembered John.

View attachment 35070

View attachment 35071
Sorry to hear
that is too early an age to leave
but we never know
Steve

Tony, thank you for taking the time to inform us of his passing with this post full of friendship and great respect. Unfortunately, I didn't know John personally, but as a fellow collector I held him in high esteem. Not only were his posts extremely interesting and helpful, he was also very friendly and supported me as a novice collector by spending his valuable time measuring his helmets for me.
I will include him in my prayers. Rest in peace, John, and my condolences to Laurie and his family.

So sad to hear this news... He sent me a couple of kokarden for my JzPf M15 once, and only asked me if I could send him a selection of French and other country's cheese for him in exchange, which I did. He even sent me Christmas cards...
A good friend has left us way too soon..

Rest in peace my friend, you will be missed by many, but we will never forget you. Semper Fi John..

I never had the pleasure of meeting John but I did enjoy his educational posts. It's apparent that he was a thorough and serious student of the Pickelhaube world. We will all miss his informative participation on this forum.

Tony:

You crafted a thoughtful and moving tribute to John. Bravo Zulu.

I'm so sorry to hear this very sad news. John's presence and excellent input here on this forum will be greatly missed.

My sincere condolences to his wife and family and friends.

Thanks Tony for letting us know, and for the wonderful tribute you wrote and shared with us.

Best Wishes,

Alan

WOW!!! I have been gone from here for too long. John was a good man. I got to know him over the last couple years through this site. I bought quite a few pieces from him over the last two years. I went through a divorce and kinda went through it and lost touch with him.

I am so sad to read this so late in the game.

I offer my Salute to John and may he Rest in Peace.

Back