Just aquired....

The standard original Bavarian officer kokaren are 3 piece with smooth centre ring which is painted light blue. The serrated disc itself has a frosted silver finish applied. The typical thin card board backing usually painted black on the helmet side makes up the 3rd piece.
I have seen OR's original kokarden painted silver with blue ring or painted white with blue ring. The blue on the OR's kokarden seems to be darker than the officers. I will post some pics this weekend. Brian

ContactSheet.jpg

Chas, I've taken a couple of closer pictures of the kokade. It is a 3 piece construction and the metal is silver coloured and not painted.

Here goes.

Hi Mike:

Thank you for the excellent close-ups. I see nothing to suggest the Kokarde is anything but original. New variants arrive here daily.

Chas.

Am I being stubborn, shortsighted, or just missing something? Tell me if I am all wet. I'm not sure I understand what Brian's question is any more. Is he talking about hash marks on the blue color? That's what I was looking at. This one is a bit different it's not smooth. However I am with Chas. I don't think that's any big deal. I think this is an Unteroffiziere mit portapee cockade. And I do not follow all of the problems. SO I'm waiting for Brian's pics.

Look at how many responses this helmet has made.
ike must be still happy. I have some hole comments too just have to get organized[/quote]

joerookery said:
Is he talking about hash marks on the blue color?
Hi Joe:

I believe that is the issue. Brian's position appears to be the Bavarian"Unteroffizier mit Portepee" Kokarde is identical to the Offizier (smooth blue ring), but with a Knopf 91 sized center hole.

However, I have seen legitimate Bavarian Offizier Landskokarden that are identical to the Reichs/Prussian style. Why should the same not be true of Unteroffiziere mit Portepee? Perhaps the real distinction is prewar convention versus wartime necessity/standardization.

Chas. :?:

Joe, Chas, I agree with you Chas, about what Brian is saying. This kokade does appear to be the same as the Riechs/Prussian style with the hash marks painted over blue.

Boy oh Boy am I learning things here. This is all good stuff and helping me no end.

Hi Guys:
My appologies for setting off some great mystery here. I was essentially wondering if this kokarde with the hash marks on the central ring was legit. All of the Bavarian officer kokarden that I have seen have a smooth ring ie no hash marks. I think that having had all of this input, that it is original and correct. Brian

b.loree said:
All of the Bavarian officer kokarden that I have seen have a smooth ring ie no hash marks.
But Brian, I do not see this as an officer pattern Kokarde. I see this as a Bayern version of Unteroffizier mit Portepee.

Back