Karel - One Year

Tony without Kaiser

Departed
Staff member
Today 05 July 2021 marks one year since our collecting friend Karel's (Adler) horribly unexpected death.

I will always be frustrated that my wife Gael and were only weeks from meeting Karel and Marina in Belgium. Now it is too late.

Karel told me many times his favourite Pickelhaube was his Leib-Husaren Pelzmütze. In his honour, I will post his Pelzmütze and then mine. It frustrates me very much that I never had an opportunity to show my example to him, in a tragic twist of Irony I was waiting to reveal it to him as a surprise, but foolishly waited to long.

Karel liked American bourbon as do I, so tonight I will raise a glass and toast to his memory, wherever he is. I will never forget him.

M94-97 Pruis LH1 03 - Copy.jpg

2LHR2_Pelzmutze_Hans_Schulze_1.jpg

So sad. Thank you Tony! I had the honor to meet Karel and see his collection. Met him again in Halen in August 2014.

I had the honor of seeing his entire collection and learn from him when i got stuck on a piece
Karel was always very pasioned in his stories about his collection and i met him more than once on militairy fairs here in belgium

The one thing that will alway be a remembrence to karel is the next story
There was a militaryfair on the airfield of ursel i was wandering about and in the corner of my eyes i saw a helmet (garde landwehr )with parade plume , its carying case ,a frame of the soldier wearing the helmet and a pair of shoulder boards all belonging t o the same person . I got up to the stand and asked the seller for the price .at that time i did not collect that kinda pieces so i did not know if the price whas right or not , so i needed some time to think about it .that same day my fathers brother was going to be buried so i had to leave the fair early to atend the funeral in the late afternoon i went back to the fair and noticed that the helmet was gone . It was a shame that i did not take it . So after a few moths i sawkarel at the fair in ciney and he invited me to his home to see his collection . Once i got there we went up to his mancave and to my biggest surprice that entire lot of helmet ,case ,frame ,schouldersboards was in the collection of karel . From then on everytime we met on a fair he made a joke to me that i could not think to long on a potential purchase or he would fetch it right from under my nose 😂😂
For me this is the biggest reminder of who karel was and that he was always pleased to share his knodledge on helmets

I was thinking of him just, last week.
Simple coincidence...
I met him only once at my home.

should be an interesting auction, Many, many pieces I would love to have from his collection, will probably have to pick one or two and go for it.

James

What can I say? Somehow I am sad

Same. I was talking with JohnM today, we agreed you don’t need to win something, as this catalogue is a rare opportunity to see Karel’s collection. I ordered one today. Having the catalogue will be a very nice memento of Karel. Plus it will be jaw dropping…Photos will be excellent as per HH quality. We couldn’t think of a better way to honour him and his collection than to have this catalogue.

Same. I was talking with JohnM today, we agreed you don’t need to win something, as this catalogue is a rare opportunity to see Karel’s collection. I ordered one today. Having the catalogue will be a very nice memento of Karel. Plus it will be jaw dropping…Photos will be excellent as per HH quality. We couldn’t think of a better way to honour him and his collection than to have this catalogue.
I thought the same thing, odds of me getting anything I want reasonable are slim, but the catalog will last forever, or at least as long as I do.

Ordered mine as well!

James

I ordered mine today. Will have special place. I'll never forget when we went to his place to see his collection. A few years later: When Karel knew Sabine and I were volunteering at the 100 year anniversary of "The Battle of the Silver Helmets" at Halen-12th of August 2014- he came over to visit and meet. Had a chat and a drink. A nice photo of both of us together, with the Museum owner, in front of the gun.

I also cannot afford anything in Karel's collection, but ordered the catalog today.
I never met him in person, first time I knew of him being a very knowledgable collector, was when I was (still am) a member of our Dutch/Belgium
forum. Forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl. His particepation there was shortlived unfortunately.
He only wanted to help people with his knowledge, but got a lot of comments for being too picky. I didn't even collected pickelhaubes then, but had a lot of interest in them, so, because of him, I started looking further, for more info.
Then, some time later, I discovered this forum, and Tony's website.
I was happy to see most of Karel's collection here, on our forum.
This catalog will be an addition to my collection, but also a reminder of who Karel was, his legacy to be honest.

Back