Kronprinz Helm sold in 2005

seagull

A friend in Berlin sent me a copy of the Kube catalogue back in 2005 and, finding it in my files, I wondered how many people who don't subscribe to Kube may have missed seeing this piece of history. The helmet belonged to Kronprinz Wilhelm who died in 1951, a year after I entered the World, and it got me thinking how some of us sort of overlap with the things we collect. It started at 6,000 Euros and I have no idea what it finally fetched as, needless to say, I did not consider myself to be equal to the task of raising that sort of money back then. Still, I have the catalogue and can afford to dream!
Enjoy,
Steve
11072016108.jpg11072016109.jpg

Steve,

So, I checked and the helmet sold for €9,000. With commission it would have been around US$13,200.00 or around £7,500.00 if my exchange rate for 2005 is correct.

Cheers,

Dennis

Well done Dennis ! I suspected that the final price would be well above my pay grade. :D

Back in 2005 it would have been a case of "Dream on" for me to reach numbers like that. But, for me, the historical connection would have been worth it, always assuming I could accept a leaking roof and a rapidly departing wife!
Steve

A friend in Berlin sent me a copy of the Kube catalogue back in 2005 and, finding it in my files, I wondered how many people who don't subscribe to Kube may have missed seeing this piece of history. The helmet belonged to Kronprinz Wilhelm who died in 1951, a year after I entered the World, and it got me thinking how some of us sort of overlap with the things we collect. It started at 6,000 Euros and I have no idea what it finally fetched as, needless to say, I did not consider myself to be equal to the task of raising that sort of money back then. Still, I have the catalogue and can afford to dream!
Enjoy,
Steve
View attachment 12146View attachment 12145
Seagull,
thanks for sharing this. Just googled Kube and discovered that this is an auction house and there is an upcoming sale in just four days! T

A collector friend of mine owned the K R 2 with epaulettes that was worn by the Crown Prince .
When he cut back his collection to only Prussian Garde Cavalry he sold or traded the uniform I can not match the Crown Prince
and I do not own a kurassiere helmet to a Royal . The closest that I can get is the helmet of Prince August Wilhelm to the 1st
Garde Regiment zu Fuss . This also came from a Kube auction .Bought by a fellow collector who passed away at an early age .
I purchased it from his widow .Steve1 Garde Regt zu Fuss  helmet Prince August  Wilhelm  McFarland  Collection.jpeg

I just remembered that I did own the 1 L H R 1 dress hat of Crown Prince Wilhelm .I could trace the ownership
of the hat back to the 1930's with a letter from the Crown Prince's secretary that was sent to the man who
the Crown Price had made him a gift of the hat. In 2019 I had a collector friend visit me .He saw the hat
and he made me a "Godfather Offer " so I had to let me have the hat . SteveDress Hat       1 L H R 1.jpegDress Hat 1  Crown Prince  Wilhelm.jpeg

That 1LHR1 hat certainly has the look and shape of what he is wearing in all of the Photos...very cool! A real piece of History.

If there are enough to post ? I have one item that I could post , however it is a uniform to the son of the Kaiser .
Steve

I had the H R 9 parade Attila of Carl Edward as a General but it was traded some years ago .It is now in the private
collection Of Brian Sanders and is shown in his 2 Vol set on Husaren .
Steve

Maybe not so many among members here, but pictures from any source would be a valuable body of reference?

One of his hats use to be at the Army Aberdeen Proving Ground Museum.
That is the one that I owned .I think that a Col. Jarrett was the person that the Crown Prince
gave the hat to .I was told that he had a museum at one time .When I sold the hat I of course
turned over all the paper work to the buyer .I should have made copies to keep .
Here was the letter to the Col from the sectary of the Crown Prince
and even the original paper wrapper from the package when it was sent
I have been collecting since 1970 .I thought that I knew all the old stories .
Would you PM me and tell me who you are and how you know that story ?
You must have known some of the old time collectors that I did
Thanks for your post
Steve

Steve, I can put it here. My father was friends with Col. Jarrett and as a kid I would go with my Dad to visit the Museum and see Col. J.. Col. Jarrett, on one of visits told me about the hat.He said that he (Col.J.) visited with the Crown Prince and was given the hat. It was great fun visiting him, I was aloud to play on and in the tanks.
Reg Wirth

Last edited:
Reg ;
Thanks for the report and the information . I guess that it is a small collector world
that you know that same story the same way that I do .For some years I knew where
the hat was . In the hands of a private collector .I tried a few times to see if I could do
a deal with him on the hat .No luck .Years went by. A fellow collector made friends
with the collector who owned the hat .He told my friend that he was waiting fro the
Anniv . of WWI to sell his collection .The sad part is that the collector did not
live to see it . A dealer came in and bought his collection. That is how I was
able to track it down
Steve

Back