Large size copy of famous picture

Yes, it looks like rows 5 & 6 (from the bottom) are JzP and Kurassier helmets - hence the reflection at distance. Quite artistic

Okay... so I'd have needed to scout the area, bring a wire cutters, a ladder, a helper and TWO boxes. Just leave the ladder there after liberating the helmets and run like the wind!!!! :p Of course, when the whole thing was done, you could show up with a truck, an official looking invoice and not only take a load of helmets, but an artillery piece as well. :-"

:D Ron

Excellent and of course WOW!! I have never seen those "new perspective" shots before. They certainly clarify just how big this pyramid thing was. There must be other pictures out there, surely other photographic companies in NYC saw an opportunity.

Take it to a copy place and get a superfine scan of it and blow it up to a real poster size, clean it up with a border and sell the digital copy of it so we can get it printed for our walls :)

From the World War I Centennial commission. They posted both pictures.
Although this week’s photo was taken after the armistice of November 11th, 1918, it eerily illustrates the monumental cost of the war in human lives. The pyramid in the photo was constructed out of 12,000 helmets taken from German soldiers that were either captured or killed in action. There were actually two pyramids assembled, with this one located on Park Avenue near Grand Central Terminal in New York City. Situated at the top of the pyramid is a statue of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory. Together they flanked both ends of what became known as “Victory Way”, a stretch of Park Avenue where other wartime displays were located to draw crowds and the money in their pockets. While the idea of displaying war trophies today may be viewed as macabre, it was not uncommon for war souvenirs to be used for fundraising during the 20th Century. These pyramids were on public display as a means to help raise money for the 5th War Loan, also known as the Victory Liberty Loan, which was released on April 21st, 1919. The original intention was if an individual donated enough funds, they would receive one of the 24,000 helmets as a token of their contribution. However, the whereabouts of the majority of the helmets are currently unknown. A close-up of shot of the pyramid has also been provided.
Photo URL: http://siris-archives.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;…

Interesting, isn't it, how many Pickelhaube were being used after the US started 'capturing or killing' enemy troops? :-" :-"

[-X Clearly not the correct term ,a soldier takes the enemy down ,”killing” is for terrorists.

When I was in the military, I was trained to kill or destroy the enemy. They were all 'targets'. At times, we would take out a target of one kind or another, but killing or disabling was the idea. No pretty name for it. Take-downs are for wrestlers.

:-k I see, ah yes ,that would explain your paranoid police ,with all that post war stress going on.

Spiker said:
:-k I see, ah yes ,that would explain your paranoid police ,with all that post war stress going on.

LOL, yes, I can understand that you'd have that perception of US police from the media. However, a GREAT majority of them are very level headed, and fair minded. They are also very professional. For example, I was in New York City and was looking across the subway tracks at a cop wondering what it would be like to work in that environment. He noticed me looking at him (from twenty or more meters away) and gave me that "Do you need help?" look. I shook my head and smiled. Alert, intuitive and aware of their environments is what I would call our police force. Certainly, there are a few 'drunk with power' idiots on the force, but not many. Yeah, the media likes to focus on the negative here.
However, with a society in which individuals are allowed to legally conceal and carry firearms, I can't really blame them for being on edge at times. However, they seem up to the task. I've found European police to be very similar to ours.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/group-of-new-york-boys-trying-on-german-officers-helmets-news-photo/83142279" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The boys have some nice toys there.

gunner cooper said:
great picture, its interesting that these are only kids but the lad in the middles haub seems to be too small for him

Yes, I noticed that too! Some boys after my own heart. I wonder if any of them became collectors?

Back