Latest find from the S O S 2021

Love them both, obviously very rare! Congratulations Steve. Any markings on the felt helmet ?

Steve,
As usual, I did not make it through the whole show. Those two are rare and in excellent condition. Very impressive finds; thanks for posting them.
Best regards,
John

Brian ;
No markings that I saw .IMO it would be hard to put Kammer stamps on the felt.
I did ask the owner to remove the front plate and he did . I gave it good look
and all looked O K to me .
He was not a dealer but selling some helmets from his own collection .
Steve

No surprise Steve, in my experience these felts mostly just have faint Korps stamps on them or nothing at all.

Brian ;
IMO it would be hard to put Kammer stamps on the felt.

Steve
Hi,

It´s true, markings on felt helmets are quite scarce!
There are very few exemples that have survived. I own one with regiment stamp and matching BJA stamp.

One can also detect with a good light from the side a faint stamp of the 1K (1. company) and the stamp "ga" (to be worn only in the garrison ).

This helmet first wore gilt fittings. During the war, 1916, the BJA of the XX AK obviously removed these fittings because of lack of brass and replaced them with grey steel fittings. One exception: the two original grommets which still are gilt :giggle:

A small period repair was also done at the back of the liner with a replacement of two torn tongues.

The JR152 (Deutsch Orden, garrison in Marienburg, West-Prussia) was part of the XX Army Korps. This XX AK only had a BA and a BJA in war time.
In peace time, the units equipment of the XX AK were provided through the BA.XVII and BA.I.

Philippe
;)

feutre.JPGfeutre1.JPGfeutre2.JPGfeutre3.JPGfeutre4.JPGfeutre5.JPGfeutre6.JPGfeutre8.JPGfeutre7.JPG

Great helmet .
Thanks for the post of these photos .
Excellent Kammer stamps
These felt helmets can grow on a collector .
But what were the Germans thinking ?
They would not stop anything for protection !
Steve

Philippe,
A very nice helmet for sure. The markings are in excellent condition, and the unit repair of the liner tounges speaks to the German's conserving materials. Whereas the U.S. Army would replace a whole liner. Thanks for posting.
John

Excellent helmets gentlemen, we certainly have access through our members, to some of the top hauben collections in the world! Great markings Philippe, very rare to have those. Many times in these M95 to M15 conversions, they took the brass grommets out as well, sometimes, they were replaced with steel but often just left empty.

I'll add one of mine. This one has 'seen a lot of action' (probably with the former owner's kids!), but I really like its idiosyncrasies. The marking is in the dome.

:D Ron

Attachments

• ER3.1.JPG
    ER3.1.JPG
    851.3 KB · Views: 7
  • P1060520.JPG
    P1060520.JPG
    753.4 KB · Views: 7
Back