Latest find Weekend March 18 ,2022

Alan ;
If you don't mind who was the dealer that had it at the show ?
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your question. I never asked my friend Jim as to who the "dealer" was who came in and bought most of the last of his helmets. I didn't figure it was my place to ask him who he sold them to. He volunteered to me the info on the prices he got for some of the helmets, but I didn't think it was appropriate of me to ask him who he sold them to. Maybe I was wrong not to ask him? I was just staggered that he got half or less than half the value for the 25th FAR helmet from whomever bought it, and he was thrilled at the price he got for it. I really was quite taken aback when he told me, as I'd tried repeatedly over a 10-year period to buy it from him and he was never at the point where he wanted to sell any more helmets other than what he had sold me. The guy who bought it and the other helmets apparently found my friend Jim to be at "just the right moment" where he decided to sell them. Unfortunately I wasn't there to know or say or do anything about it with my friend Jim at that moment in time where he changed his mind. It happens. That's life... They're all only just "stuff" and there's always more of it out there for sale.. We're only the caretakers of the items for a brief moment in time... I was lucky to get part of the "left over scraps", a "minty" M15 Prussian Guard e.m. helmet from him after the fact, as I stumbled onto finding he had it up for sale and I was able to alert and remind him that I wanted to buy it. I even bought it for less than I had offered to him for it previously when he didn't want to sell it. Figure that!!! I really don't know what was going on with him, or what was going through his mind in how and what he ultimately ended up doing with these helmets. I have to remind myself that they're "just stuff", and that he's a good friend...

I should think that Charles would know who he purchased such a rare helmet from at the SOS. Maybe he will let you know who it is if you ask him?

I was at sos 2020 and didn't see it either.

Lucky you! And congrats
Regards
Amy Bellars

I didn't see this helmet either, or the other ones from this dealer who bought them from my friend Jim. But then again I was sitting at a table trying to sell stuff and not out shopping like I would have preferred. I would think it was sold rather quickly if Charles spotted it out on a table. We'd have to ask Charles in order to know for certain what transpired. Maybe it was even a helmet that was held under the table, and not out in view for the public to see? I know that situation happens as well and is not uncommon where some sellers only allow certain people to see a specific item they may have for sale. They have friends and other collectors whom they know who are looking for specific items or high-end items and they don't want everyone pawing over the item at a show until they let those specific friends see something first before the public gets a chance to but the item. Truly only Charles and the "dealer" know how everything transpired in how it was purchased at the SOS. All I knew at the time, after the purchase, was that Charles had purchased it and it was going back to Belgium with him.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Last edited:
Alan ;
Thanks
It is no big deal to know who the dealer was
I am sure that my friend would tell me
IF he even knew who the seller was
Since he is from Europe and the seller might be Amerian
he might not even know who the seller was
his only remark was that the seller ; " Didn't know what he had
based on the price that he bought it for "
The market in Europe is very different over there from our market
I didn't get it cheap , but it don't matter as my friend wants to buy it back
at the same price
Steve

Alan ;
Thanks
his only remark was that the seller "Didn't know what he had
based on the price that he bought it for."
The market in Europe is very different over there from our market
I didn't get it cheap, but it don't matter as my friend wants to buy it back
at the same price.
Steve

Yes, my friend who had it apparently didn't realize the value of it, even though I had tossed around prices to him over the years I tried to acquire it. So yes, knowing what Jim got for it, I can understand whoever the "dealer" was that bought it from Jim probably didn't realize the full value of what the 25th FAR 1915 officer helmet was worth either. And yes, things are considerably higher priced in Europe. Both for Imperial items, and for 3rd reich items too, as I see with my eyes. Crazy much higher prices. It's an entirely different market over there as you correctly point out.

Does Charles expect you to not earn any "interest" on your investment/purchase price money, and to sell it back to him at the same price you bought it for? Yes, of course I know that friends do that sometimes with friends.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Alan ;
The fact that he went to all the trouble to get the helmet back
from a good friend over there I would not ask him more
He don't need the helmet for himself
only to get it back for the friend who parted with it
so that I could own it until I sell my collection
so I have no problem with that .
Steve

Wow!! Thank you very much for posting the extra photos Steve! As I said, I absolutely had no clue that these even existed, awesome!! I wonder though, how thrilled the officers of these regiments were at having to buy at the very least a new star for their wappen??

Brian ;
Back before 1992 when I also had a Hessian Dragoon Regt 23
officers helmet with the Ludwig order star , I also had the
book the Regt history of D R 23
there was a passage in the book where the Grand Duhe of Hesse
awarded the star to the officers of the regiment
I would think that they were thrilled to get it
when I sold the helmet , I also sold the book
I wish that I now had the book back
Steve

So just to clarify Steve and excuse my ignorance.......if the Duke awarded it does that mean he paid for the new star, or did each officer have to pay for the change? I know for example, that the Kaiser personally paid for extra MG’s for his regiments. Probably a moot point in the greater scheme of things.

So just to clarify Steve and excuse my ignorance.......if the Duke awarded it does that mean he paid for the new star, or did each officer have to pay for the change? I know for example, that the Kaiser personally paid for extra MG’s for his regiments. Probably a moot point in the greater scheme of things.
Brian: A special insignia like this was endowed by the sovereign. I think that's what Steve meant with the "awarded". There was an AKO by which the sovereign allowed (or ordered) the wearing of this special sign of recognition for the officers of the regiment. The officers had to buy the star themselves afterwards, of course, like all the other parts of the uniform. But it was a great honor when a regiment received such an award.

Thanks Sandy, for answering my question. It would also be nice to know why these extra swords were awarded mid war. Still, awesome helmets Steve!!

I found the original text of award by a Google search. It is just an extract (Source: „Der Völkerkrieg: eine Chronik der Ereignisse seit dem 1. Juli 1914, Volume 5 by Casimir Bear in 1915):
25031C50-0D7B-4753-BE41-3C7A03C99256.jpeg
It was meant to encourage and as a sign of confidence. The text of the award reads: "The enemy is not yet defeated. As a visible sign of my confidence and recognition, I award my Guard Dragoon Regiment as a crest a star with date "April 6, 1915" with swords, in memory of this festive day begun in wartime.“

Last edited:
Sandy ;
Many thank for that
Backbefore 1992 I owned the book of the D R 23
Like a dummy when I sold the helmet the book went with it
I have replaced the helmet
but not the book !
Steve

You are very welcome Steve.
And once again congratulations to these Helmets. With the star, the plate is one of the most beautiful I know (y)

Back