Leibgarde-Inf.-Regt. (1. Großherzogl. Hessisches) Nr. 115

Lost Skeleton

This was an SOS pickup. I had been wanting one of these for ages to complement my Hessen Leib-Dragoner-Regt. Pickelhaube. Please click HERE for details regarding that helmet. However, I never seemed to find a specimen to my liking — or one that suited my budget. I may have taxed the budget somewhat, but I won't regret adding this to my collection.

LIR1151_zpsqgzxmn4p.jpg

M1895 O/R helmet with 1897 Neusilber furniture. Note the heavy Knopf 91 keeper on the original chinstrap

LIR1152_zpsm2szjgi2.jpg

Note the M95 rear spine with ventilation shutter — unusual for Hessen, but I have no reason to doubt it

LIR1153_zpsgpja14zh.jpg

The 1621 banderole is attached via threaded posts, nuts and washers. The Hessen Wappen employs M95 soldered loops and leather wedges

LIR1154_zpssisb1bl5.jpg

The Stempel is faint. My best interpretation is a boxed capital D (presumably for Darmstadt) followed by I.R. 115

LIR1155_zpsdzy7ujqh.jpg

Wappen detail

Chas

None of my business
if you care to tell me that
but
Did it come from Weitze ?
I saw a very nice one like that on his table .
At any rate where ever or who ever
you did well
that is one great looking helmet
and 1 of the few non - Prussian helmets
that I wish that I had

Steve

Regarding this stamp example of the JR115 :

jr115.jpg

And the stamp on your helmet, after a small "color balancing"

I may think that your stamp is reading: IB JR 115 or IIB JR 115 The unit is placed in a separate block as the Bataillon number too. In your example, both blocks are jointed through exact linear stamping.

Philippe
:wink:

I also was fortunate to see this piece at the SOS,... excellent Chas. Congratulations on another fine example to add to your collection.

Of course I did see every helmet purchased at the S O S
I did see a very nice Prussian H R 8 Otter fur Husaren
but maybe I M O
you got the best helmet at the show
Steve

argonne said:
I may think that your stamp is reading: IB JR 115 or IIB JR 115 The unit is placed in a separate block as the Bataillon number too. In your example, both blocks are jointed through exact linear stamping.
You may be correct, Philippe. To add another wrinkle, I was looking over the helmet for additional markings and found a name written in pencil. It appears to be Thrig O. You have an eye for these things. What do you think?

Thrig_zpsqws8paxb.jpg

I have been scrolling up and down to draw comparisons between the Wappen on my helmet with that of Tony's. There appear to be numerous, albeit subtle, differences. I have found no maker's mark on my helmet. I took these macros to provide a detailed look at the more significant details.

115Macro1_zpsxsepssem.jpg

I find it interesting that the shape of the lion's crown is slightly distorted to allow it to connect with the sword

115Macro2_zps47evgbvt.jpg

The loop in the 6 is distinctive in the way it connects to the vertical

115Macro3_zpsorwqd8fa.jpg

115Macro4_zpsdr1amh41.jpg

Chas

Lost Skeleton said:
I was looking over the helmet for additional markings and found a name written in pencil. It appears to be Thrig O. You have an eye for these things. What do you think?

Thrig_zpsqws8paxb.jpg

Chas, always an excellent idea to look for more clues :thumb up: And in a few seconds, you will be happy to do have that!

The writing is a name and a company number: IHRIG 9/115

And look at that now, two matching mentions in the German "Verlustlisten" 1914-18.

Gefreiter Heinrich IHRIG, 9/115, from Raubach (Kreis Erbach), lightly wounded late September or beginning of October 1914:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/577544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And later, a second mention about this guy, still in the 9/115, for a second time lightly wounded, this time September 1916:

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/4962000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that for such an elite Leibgarde unit, they acquired the new M16 helmet in the summer of 1916 (July-August), such as other elite units like the GR89, as read in the "Regiments-Geschichte". So this helmet could have been returned to the garrison Kammer at this time or maybe even earlier, after Heinrich´s first wound. That would explain this helmet has survived in this great shape. Heinrich IHRIG seems to have survived the war. No later mention of his dead. Or he could have remain at home because of invalidity after the second wound. It´s not uncommon to observe in the "Verlustlisten" that guys who first have been mentioned as lightly wounded, were later invalid or even died in a Lazarett...

So the stamp in front of the "JR 115" stamp may simply be "III" for the third bataillon, perfectly matching with the name of wearer in the 9. company.

Philippe
:wink:

Back