Long winded

As previously speculated, the residue of leather shavings produced by the movement of the eagle on the helmet's leather surface further confirms that this tschako plate had indeed once been on a helmet.

I've asked for the results from his DNA testing to determine conclusively if the hide was bovine.

361262be.gif

Yup, nice one. Do I detect a whiff of sarcasm here.
His hide might be.

But he's sold me. I feel a moral obligation to buy it after all that. I like the way he shoehorns in a mention of good old Sepp.

Flash, where have you seen this before?

Innit wot you Yanks call "yadda, yadda, yadda"?

Mike,

The same description - word for word - is actually reproduced somewhere in one of the forum postings, but used to describe a completely different item!!! I think Tony posted it.

Thats the upside of using a long winded, rambling verbose, ambiguous description. You can use it over and over because it is almost totally unrelated to the item being described. What a great concept!

Flash

I thought I'd seen it before on here.
Yeah, you're right flash, it is a great concept - I think I'm gonna go for it!

Mind you - he wants some dosh for it though. These concepts dont come for cheap!

I need a new Mr 10% - this could be the one!

Hi Flash Mike n' Mike:

The link to the previous discussion:

http://www.pickelhaubes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77

Chas.

My God, this feller likes the sound of his own voice alright.

And - " David Irving a true scholar", why am I not surprised. That is'nt the first appraisal that springs to mind. Maybe I'll pass after all.

What does Irving actually do at the S.O.S? I think I can guess.

But he's sold me. I feel a moral obligation to buy it after all that.
I think I will copy and save this discription for later use when I sell my Tschako plate, I always thought it was a run of the mill pickle plate, I have seen this Rare Tcshako plate before with this discription, too bad it does not sell. I would let mine go for $150 to the right person.
Zaphod

The words "pontification" and "pompous" come to mind after having read this item description. This gentleman should be selling either Bibles or Encyclopedias door to door. He truly believes that he has mastered the salesmans' art of "bafflegab"or perhaps he was drunk when he posted the wappen on ebay?? More to the point, this is an obvious example of educational overload. This happens to people who think that they are smart but are too stupid to realise their limitations. Consequently, while trying to impress us all with his knowledge and expertise he merely makes a fool of himself and provides us all with a good laugh. Tragic really. Brian

Hi Brian and Gus [ you sussed me! ], Just think what a double-act this bloke and that little fella 'Mushro[om]' would make if they ever got together.The Bullshine Brothers!

using a long winded, rambling verbose, ambiguous description

Hey Mike I use that technique in most of my posts..... everyone has nice stuff but me....... :homework: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Well Joe, I've learned a fair bit from your 'Long winded, overblown rambling' posts and articles so I aint complaining. And as for "....everybody has nice stuff.....', crap! I looked at your collection the other day and theres some stuff there I'd sell Grannie for alright, so stop your whinge'ing!

But getting back, I think I've met the guy in question here, now I come to think of it. He said he had for sale, from the famous collection of one Major Hugh Jampton, the actual piece of Gruyere cheese that was issued to the 15th. Panzer division just before the battle of Spion Kop, presented by their commander, Justin Idleburger. When I pointed out the fact that it had 'New Zealand' stamped on the side he said "......er, well,...it was captured by the New Zealanders during the battle, you see - look at all those bullet holes in it - you can't get more authentic than that!"

It may turn up on ebay soon, so watch out! :eek:

Happy New Year, All!

I have a bit of a flakey theory that I would like to test:

I suspect that this particular bird has migrated from India.

Examine the photos of this wappen carefully. Notice that the feathers of the bird have sort of a beaded or stippled texturing rather than lines to simulate the natural rays that feathers have.

What do you think?

I have checked out several pictures of wappen with impeccable pedigrees; not a beaded/stippled feather in the lot. Can anyone point to a bona fide period example with this texturing?

Thank you for your input.

Cheers,

Laurie

kaiserzeit said:
Examine the photos of this wappen carefully. Notice that the feathers of the bird have sort of a beaded or stippled texturing rather than lines to simulate the natural rays that feathers have.//I have checked out several pictures of wappen with impeccable pedigrees; not a beaded/stippled feather in the lot. Can anyone point to a bona fide period example with this texturing?

Will no-one defend the lowly chicken?

Hi Laurie, That is a result of magnification. All eagle Wappen of good quality have beaded or stippled texturing. Even M15 steel chickens will often show this.

Thanks, Tony.

Heil to der Kaiser!

It may be a matter of degree. I've seen some Indian chickens where the beading stood out too much and just looked wrong. So I was being overly cautious with this bird.

Cheers,

Laurie

Hi L. and Happy New Year! Well, you got me worried cos all my birds [5]have this 'stippled' look, even the M15's.Maybe the execution is a bit cruder than what I have here, especially the typography.

Hi Mike,

Sorry to give you a start like that.

I think there is clear agreement that many of the flaws in the repros you see are a matter of degree. I have seen some birds that were downright hideous, the pebbling was so overdone.

The other thing that bothered me about the bird that started this thread is that its attachment loops do not look like they are set evenly. Maybe I'm being fussy but I swear that "A" is mounted higher than "B" which would cause the bird to have a bit of a tilt when mounted.

Sorry, Tony, I seem to have it 'in' for this bird. Am I being too harsh?

Question: The face of the badge looks like it was once gilded which rather surprises me, for an issue bird. Or, is this another one of these cases where there are no absolutes?

Cheers,

Laurie

Hello Laurie, and Happy New Year to you.

I think it is his photo which is a bit skewed- if you take a line across the wingtips right is higher. I think it's OK.

I have a Prussian bird, Bayern post '14 crest, and a Baden griffon, all line and issue [I think!] - which have solid crowns and large traces of gilding and I thought they were all genuine?

What are you trying to do to me here?

Back